Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need "error correction" when importing CDs?

By default the error correction box is unchecked, and I seem to remember hearing when iTunes first came out that it degraded the sound quality, so I've never used it, and haven't had any problems.

But now I'm reading on the internet that it should always be checked.

What exactly does error correction do?

And if it's so great and necessary, why is it unchecked as the default?

iMac Intel Core 2, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Sep 23, 2008 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2008 9:33 PM

It's necessary on my computer 🙂

If "error correction" is unchecked, you get a dropout every time there is an error reading a CD. Very audible and annoying! "Error correction" means that iTunes will try again to read the CD until the bit stream correctly passes the error detection checksum test. "Error correction" definitely does not degrade sound quality!

If you have icky CDs, "error correction" might try for a very long time to get the right bits. But if that's what it takes, that's what you want it to do, right?

Perhaps "error correction" is off by default so that you get a sense of ownership when you set it the right way?
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2008 9:33 PM in response to jester999

It's necessary on my computer 🙂

If "error correction" is unchecked, you get a dropout every time there is an error reading a CD. Very audible and annoying! "Error correction" means that iTunes will try again to read the CD until the bit stream correctly passes the error detection checksum test. "Error correction" definitely does not degrade sound quality!

If you have icky CDs, "error correction" might try for a very long time to get the right bits. But if that's what it takes, that's what you want it to do, right?

Perhaps "error correction" is off by default so that you get a sense of ownership when you set it the right way?

Sep 24, 2008 1:23 AM in response to Denis Lynch

Nice to meet somebody who knows the misterious apple "error correction" ...
If I understand : when error correction is on, does itunes passe many times to get the right bit ??
If he cannot what append ?: does he give up ? does he create a bit? , an interpolation? does he move on ?

If error correction is off what append in case of damage disk ?

thanks

Sep 24, 2008 7:40 AM in response to chris31fr

I think I already answered these questions.

For good disks, iTunes does exactly the same thing if "error correction" is on or off.

If iTunes finds a spot that isn't read correctly, and "error correction" is off, iTunes just takes whatever data it gets. You will be able to hear something, ranging from a fraction of a second of missing music to a short burst of noise. If "error correction" is on iTunes will try again and again until it gets the data right. I've never seen it not succeed.

Sep 24, 2008 7:48 AM in response to jester999

Error correction is only needed if you find that iTunes has trouble importing your CDs with it off. I have always left mine off and all my CDs import perfectly fine.
My advice it turn it off and see how it goes. If you find you get a lot of glitches in your imported stuff, then turn it back on. If your imports are fine, you gain nothing by turning it on.
Cheers,
Patrick

Sep 28, 2008 7:44 PM in response to chris31fr

chris31fr wrote:
So if I understand well, and want the best quality possible, If the cd is in good quality, there will be no diference with or without error correction on . But if I have scratches on or a doubt, I have to use error correction.

So the conclusion is : we must use error correction all the time ...

What is this option for ?

You are missing the key point that error correction slows down import time. So error correction is a trade off of speed in order to ensure better chance of getting an error free import.
In my case, as I already stated above, I have never had any issues importing CDs of the hundred I have imported, so I have never bothered to turn it on. So I do not have to use it, don't, and have much faster import times.
Your logic & "conclusion" are flawed. 😉
Regards,
Patrick

Sep 28, 2008 11:39 PM in response to PT

I believe Chris's logic is exactly correct.

Error correction only slows down import if there are errors.

Your observation is that you don't notice the result of any errors that might occur, so you're happy with iTunes not correcting them. That's a fine observation, but here's another: every now and again there are import errors that result in really annoying audio glitches. You only discover the glitches at some point when you're listening to the album, and then it's a big waste of time to find and re-import the CD with error correction on. Even if the odds of a serious glitch are relatively small, the cost of error correction is even smaller. I'd rather let iTunes take the trivial extra time to fix those minor errors (the ones you don't hear) to make sure that I don't ever get any of the serious ones.

That's why there's a control -- so we can both get what we want without having an argument about flawed logic.

Sep 29, 2008 7:04 AM in response to Denis Lynch

Hi Denis,
Looking into the Error Correction thing a bit more, I think you are correct. It may be that error correction on adds little time to the import. I assumed that iTunes imported CDs using the normal built in audio correction and that turning on "Error Correction" was an Apple additional error correction added to the import process. Now that I look into it further, it MAY (no official statement by Apple I could find) be that when iTunes imports an audio CD, it does not use the audio CDs built in error correction codes if that option is off. A different scenario that what I was assuming.
I will have to test it later and see what speed difference it makes when importing with or without it. As I said, I have imported hundreds of CDs and never had any glitches yet. Perhaps more luck than anything. If error correction turned on doesn't slow down the import much, I may have to change my mind and turn it on for all future imports.
Cheers,
Patrick

Sep 29, 2008 4:12 PM in response to jester999

I started ripping CD's about 4-5 years ago. I quickly found out 2 things: 1) Not ONE of my CD's sound inferior when ripped (no dropouts) with EC off, and 2) and this is a biggie, ripping is WAAAAY faster with EC off! 🙂 I suppose if someone let their cat play with their CD's there might be some sonic benefit to use EC. For me, no way--no cat, and I keep my CD's pristine. And now that all my favorite albums are ripped, they sit in a cabinet in the garage, out of the way.

Do I need "error correction" when importing CDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.