Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Electric shock from headphones?

I bought a refurbished iPod Nano from the Apple .ca website last week. I was using it today and had three little electric shocks in my ears while using the headphones. I freaked and stopped using my iPod because I don't want to fry my eardrums. Why would this happen?

Nano 3rd generation

Posted on Sep 24, 2008 8:52 PM

11 replies

Dec 19, 2008 10:50 AM in response to DarthBird

I got shocked from my headphones the other day while listening to my iPhone. I called Apple support and the technician said that getting minor shocks from headphones is not unusual. He also said that there is no danger as the voltage is not high enough to do any damage. So other than some discomfort, you have nothing to worry about.

Jan 14, 2009 6:56 AM in response to Deryk

I bought the new in hear headphone for iPod Touch second version and I got shocked from my headphones every time I move my head and I wear my wool scarf.
It's really annoying, but I found that if I stand the iPod in my hand (without gloves), the shock disappeared.
Really bad conception here from Apple...
I will try to put a plastic case on my iPod and I will give some news if that change something.

Apr 8, 2009 8:46 AM in response to TRON1138

I just got shocked, and now that I have stopped swearing, I have some input for ya. I took the in-ear headphones from my iPhone 3G box and plugged them into my XM radio Inno model, which is portable. I live in Denver, where humidity doesn't exist, and I was sitting at my office desk when it happened. Based on what I have read in the discussions, it's the in-ear headphones you get with your iPhone that causes the shock (and a little bit of yelling). The metal band thing around the earpiece sounds like a good culprit to me, so I'm gonna start touching the earpieces to something metal each time before I put them in my ear.

Electric shock from headphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.