Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lNon Apple accessory shutdown with 2.0 and up

Hopefully some will read this before apple pulls this. I had a few really good docks that played and charged great. I brought my 3G home and THIS ACCESSORY WILL NOT WORK message popped up. My old 2.5 g phone still worked, UNTIL, I put 2.0 firmware on it. Now all my old docks are trash.

I love my Iphone, but this move is and ugly and hateful. I noticed at the W mart that all old docks are over in the clearance section for 66% off.

I'm seriously thinking about jailbreaking my phone. The apple apps are fun but I don't like apple sabotaging my old equipment and I want the video recorder app.

Message was edited by: catscanjim

Message was edited by: catscanjim

Dell Dual Core, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Sep 25, 2008 7:06 AM

2 replies

Sep 25, 2008 7:16 AM in response to catscanjim

Have you tried simply ignoring/dismissing that message? The "will not work" message is simply a warning about potential interference (i.e. static) caused by the cellular radio. The old docks work fine...just ignore the 'warning' - unless, in a fit of rage, you actually did trash your old docks. IN that case, you are S.O.L.

Now, if you get the "will not charge" message, that's a firewire issue, but that doesn't affect the Original iPhone, only the iPhone 3G, regardless of the version of the OS.

Sep 25, 2008 7:13 AM in response to catscanjim

Before it get pulled, jailbreaking your 3G iPhone will not make it work/charge with your old accessories. Starting with the 3G iPhones, and continuing through the latest iPods there are no longer any Firewire related pins on the docking connector so devices can't be charged in that manner. These pins are probably going to be used in the future for some other purpose. Since Apple has not supported Firewire transfer since the 5th Generation iPod/1st Generation Nano it wasn't hard to anticipate this move.

Some of your accessories may work fine with both iPhones but will recommend Airplane mode. None of them can charge the 3G iPhone. There is talk of adapters coming in the future from 3rd parties, who knows. Apple didn't "sabotage" you or your equipment but if you jailbreak your phone realize your warranty is done and there is no guarantee you will ever be able to do future updates.

lNon Apple accessory shutdown with 2.0 and up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.