Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera Roll vs. Photo Library

I would like to know how I can sync photos so that there is only ONE photo folder on my phone. Currently, I have 100 picutures in my Camera Roll which I consider the correct and legit pictures. Then there is a photo library with about 50 pictures that I don't relly know where it comes from. Why are there two photo sources? Thanks!

-Dan

HP Pavilion, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 25, 2008 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2008 6:50 PM

Camera Roll = pictures taken with iphone

Photo Library = Photos synced from your computer

No, there is no way to get rid of one of them.

"In Photos:
Tap Photo Library to see all your photos.

Â
Tap any photo album, or tap Camera Roll to see pictures you’ve taken with iPhone.
Â
"

Page 77 iphone users guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2008 6:50 PM in response to feld0025

Camera Roll = pictures taken with iphone

Photo Library = Photos synced from your computer

No, there is no way to get rid of one of them.

"In Photos:
Tap Photo Library to see all your photos.

Â
Tap any photo album, or tap Camera Roll to see pictures you’ve taken with iPhone.
Â
"

Page 77 iphone users guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Sep 25, 2008 7:00 PM in response to feld0025

If you haven't already done so, you should import all photos captured by your iPhone to your computer as with any other digital camera. Photos captured by your iPhone are included with your iPhone's backup which is created and maintained by iTunes, but it isn't a good idea to depend on your iPhone's backup alone for photos captured by your iPhone.

I always import photos captured by my iPhone followed by deleting the photos after the import process is complete. This way I have a copy of all photos on my computer, and all photos available on my computer are included wit my iPhone's backup along with all other important data stored on an external drive used for backup purposes only.

If I want any of the imported photos available on my iPhone, I select the photos under the Photos tab for my iPhone sync preferences to be transferred to my iPhone via the iTunes sync process.

I use iPhoto on my Mac for photo storage and for the import of photos from a digital camera including photos captured by my iPhone. I create iPhoto albums for select photos and then select the albums I want transferred to my iPhone under the Photos tab for my iPhone sync preferences. This way I also have photos sorted by albums on my iPhone. I can view photos that are available in a particular album only by selecting the album on my iPhone, or all photos available in all albums by selecting the iPhone's Photo Library.

All photos transferred from your computer to your iPhone are stored in the iPhone's Photo Library and the photos available in the albums include a pointer to the original photos available in the Photo Library so they are not duplicated.

You can do the same manually on a Mac or a Windows PC by creating named folders to store select photos for transfer to the iPhone.

Create a parent folder that will contain folders or albums only that include the photos.

Select the Parent folder under the Photos tab for your iPhone sync preferences and all named folders within will be transferred to your iPhone as separate folders or albums.

Camera Roll vs. Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.