Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There was an error while evaluating JavaScript for the package.,

hi, i hope someone can help!

after the recent software update, my g4 powerboook, has started acting very strange! anytime i load itunes, it tells me that i need to be running osx 10.5. i deleted itunes, and re-downloaded, and when i went to reinstall, my machine told me i couldnt open itunes, due to a java script error(There was an error while evaluating JavaScript for the package). i tried to download a 'spring cleaning' app from the apple downloads, and it downloaded, and gave me the same message. i read somewhere that it may be to do with quicktime and the way its packaged with itunes, so deleted that and then couldnt reinstall due to my osx not being 10.5! (although i had it running fine before i deleted it) also my machine has started resetting its time to jan 1970. normally, i would just throw caution to the wind, and reinstall osx from the original disc, problem is, my cd/dvd drive packed up sometime ago so my machine wouldnt be able to read the disc!
i dont mind having to reinstall, but i really need itunes up and running as i have some playlists i need (im a dj and thats the way i organise my setlists etc), and i have a lot of music i cant afford to lose.

now when i download anything at all, i get a download box as normal, but instead of it being an icon of a grey box (like the hd icon) its a blank'piece of paper' icon.

i hope that this is clear, im a bit of a mong when it comes to the nuts and bolts so please accept my apologies if none of this makes much 'techy' sense!

thanks for taking the time to read, and i hope you can help!

power book g4, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Sep 27, 2008 12:37 PM

4 replies

Sep 27, 2008 12:56 PM in response to gordon_strange

update: i tried the disk utility repair thing, which normally sorts things out, and got this message:

*Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:*

*The underlying task reported failure on exit*

and in red it says :1 hfs volume checked: volume needs repair.
\
i aint got a scooby what it means!

Sep 27, 2008 1:37 PM in response to gordon_strange

Hi Gordon, was this booted from your Install Disk, or the HD?

To actually Repair it you need to boot from the DVD, but it also may mean the HD is failing.

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

Report the outcome please.

Sep 27, 2008 2:12 PM in response to gordon_strange

More ways...

Tough without the Tiger Disk problems, but try fsck...

To use fsck, you must run it from the command line. Unlike using your mouse to open an application to do something, you'll need to type a text command at the prompt (#) to tell fsck what to do. The Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities) and single-user mode are two examples of command-line interfaces in which you can type such commands. To use fsck:

1. Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line. Hold CMD+s keys down at bootup.
Note: If necessary, perform a forced restart as described in the Emergency Troubleshooting Handbook that came with your computer. On desktop computers, you can do this by pressing the reset/interrupt button (if there is one) or holding down the power button for several seconds. On portable computers, simultaneously press the Command-Control-power keys. If your portable computer doesn't restart with this method, you may need to reset the Power Manager.

2. At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy

3. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

The volume (name ofvolume) appears to be OK 
If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
 *** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *** 

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

4. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), off the HD & use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, reboot once more.

Then Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

There was an error while evaluating JavaScript for the package.,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.