Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

911 call failed

Has anyone else had an issue where they were in an emergency and needed to dial 911, but their iPhone failed dialing despite full bars?

I had to reboot the phone to try again.

(In case you were worried, no one died, but they could have.)

IBM, Other OS, Ubuntu

Posted on Sep 29, 2008 5:41 AM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2008 12:47 PM in response to djukami

Hey djukami,

From page 38 of the iPhone user guide:
+*Emergency Calls*+
+If iPhone is locked with a passcode, you may still be able to make an emergency call.+

+*Make an emergency call when iPhone is locked*: Tap Emergency Call, then dial the+
+number using the keypad.+

+ Important: You should not rely on wireless devices for essential communications, such+
+as medical emergencies. Use of any cellular phone to call emergency services may not+
+work in all locations. Emergency numbers and services vary by region, and sometimes+
+an emergency call cannot be placed due to network availability or environmental+
+interference. Some cellular networks may not accept an emergency call from iPhone if+
+it doesn’t have a SIM, if you locked your SIM, or if you haven’t activated your iPhone.+
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhoneUserGuide.pdf

One thing you can try to quickly make your iPhone or any cellular phone disconnect and reconnect to the network is toggle Airplane Mode.

Jason

Oct 6, 2008 10:28 AM in response to djukami

Looks to me that that section dealt only with Motorola's compliance with the 9-11 system.

Regardless, even if ALL cell providers are required to provide access to 9-11 service, that doesn't mean that the call is going to go through.

As previously stated, reliance upon cell phones for emergency calls is potentially very risky. Interestingly, this issue is never dealt with in articles that discuss those who are choosing to leave "landlines" behind, and utilize only wireless communication (i.e., cell phones) as their primary means of telephone communication.

911 call failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.