Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone voice mail screen goes black

HI All
I m using iphone 3G from last week only. I am facing one difficulty while accessing voicemail. Whenever i click on voicemail and then select the number from which i have got the voicemail , my iphone screen becomes black and i cant do anything. Even after tapping , moving fingers on the iphone , it doesnt respond.
Even if i am in some call and , i want to access some other features of iphone , i am not able to do it, since screen is black and it doesnt respond even after tapping on it.
please help me in this. I am facing lot of problems because of this.

Tosiba, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 29, 2008 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2008 3:31 AM

Try a reboot (described below).
Think of it this way, the iPhone is more of a computer than a phone. It suffers from being a new OS and nobody can deny there are not bugs and memory leaks. The longer left running, the more things start to fail or slow down (I have had the iPhone since day one of original phone and I am just speaking from my experience). Thus I equate it to like when Windows95 came out...not sure of your age or if you remember those days...but back then it was a running joke of how many days you can keep Windows 95 running before you had to reboot. I am sorry to say but the iPhone is the same way right now (but getting better with a few hiccups back during the 2.0 release). So for me, I reboot daily when I leave in the morning and take it off the charger. By doing so I rarely see any lag or problems.

A reset/reboot is:

Go to Home Screen
Press and Hold Home Button
Keep holding and press and hold Lock Button
Keep holding Both
You will see Slide to Turn Off (Don't let go to slide, just keep holding)
The phone will turn off (in time, but screen will look like it has some white lines)
Keep Holding
When you see the Apple Logo, you can let go.

Turning off via the Slide to Turn off while good and fine to turn off, is more like the Sleep Mode on a computer. Thus any locked up issues in memory remain when you turn back on. A reboot as described is like doing a real Turn off and Turn On on a computer.

You may also wish to read this tread about reboots and odd application behavior.
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5851978#5851978
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2008 3:31 AM in response to DeepakDJ

Try a reboot (described below).
Think of it this way, the iPhone is more of a computer than a phone. It suffers from being a new OS and nobody can deny there are not bugs and memory leaks. The longer left running, the more things start to fail or slow down (I have had the iPhone since day one of original phone and I am just speaking from my experience). Thus I equate it to like when Windows95 came out...not sure of your age or if you remember those days...but back then it was a running joke of how many days you can keep Windows 95 running before you had to reboot. I am sorry to say but the iPhone is the same way right now (but getting better with a few hiccups back during the 2.0 release). So for me, I reboot daily when I leave in the morning and take it off the charger. By doing so I rarely see any lag or problems.

A reset/reboot is:

Go to Home Screen
Press and Hold Home Button
Keep holding and press and hold Lock Button
Keep holding Both
You will see Slide to Turn Off (Don't let go to slide, just keep holding)
The phone will turn off (in time, but screen will look like it has some white lines)
Keep Holding
When you see the Apple Logo, you can let go.

Turning off via the Slide to Turn off while good and fine to turn off, is more like the Sleep Mode on a computer. Thus any locked up issues in memory remain when you turn back on. A reboot as described is like doing a real Turn off and Turn On on a computer.

You may also wish to read this tread about reboots and odd application behavior.
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5851978#5851978

Oct 14, 2008 10:53 PM in response to DeepakDJ

I just had this exact same thing happen and I figured out the problem. I had purchased a clear plastic dockable case with an aftermarket plastic sleeve that slides over the iPhone screen. When I would goto voicemail and click on a message the screen would go black. I did some forum searching and ran across this forum, and tried the Reboot method to no avail.

I started thinking about applications that I had installed or anything that did not come with the phone. Then it hit me, the aftermarket plastic sleeve that slides over the screen covers the sensor that turns off the screen. I removed the plastic sleeve and the screen no longer turns black. While I had the sleeve off, I went to the voicemail screen and covered the sensor with the plastic sleeve, the screen turned black. If I removed the sleeve from the sensor, the screen turned back on. This is how I determined that the plastic sleeve was the problem.

I don't know if you have a similar sleeve covering the iPhone screen, but it's worth checking.

Dale

Dec 13, 2008 10:11 PM in response to Zoftball

The case was the problem for me, thanks so much for pointing that out. It only appears to happen when in the voicemail app. If I take the phone out of its case and go to the voicemail app and cover the top part of my phone with my shirt it will make the screen go blank, but if you do this at the homescreen it will not... Perhaps a flaw that apple should fix?

Mar 10, 2009 11:01 AM in response to Zoftball

Where are the screen sensors you mention? The case covers just the edge of the screen. I have a Griffin case with clear plastic and have the exact same problem. If removing the clear protector solves, this it'll make my life easier.

I have issues with the End Call button not appearing at the end of the call, and with the voicemail "crashing" the screen when attempting to play a message.

Thanks!

Iphone voice mail screen goes black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.