Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Most apps crash on 1st launch...

I have this annoying problem since I got my MacPro in June. 10.5.3 was pre-installed on it and the problem is still persistent on 10.5.5. About 90% of all apps crash on 1st launch. If I relaunch them immediately after, they always work just fine the 2nd time around. Why just the 1st time?

FYI, all apps where installed from scratch, I always updated Mac OS X from combo updaters, I've ran all common troubleshooting routines (permissions, cleared caches, etc.) but to no avail.

What log file or other stuff should I look at for clues as to what exactly is going on?

Thank you.

2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 6 Go 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Posted on Oct 1, 2008 8:49 AM

1 reply

Oct 1, 2008 9:44 AM in response to fnankivell

There are two to look into - console and the crashreporter logs. However, this is an odd behavior if it occurred when the machine was new and before you installed any third-party applications.

After the first launch of an application does an error dialog appear giving the options of reporting to Apple, Ignore, and Relaunch? If it does I believe there's also a little arrow icon that will display the actual error causing the problem. That information also may help you find a cause.

I know you have tried most troubleshooting methods, but in case you haven't done these I will suggest them:

1. Boot into safe mode and see if the problem persists.

2. Create a new user account. Log out of your account and log into the new one. Does the problem persist?

Do you use the LinoType font manager? There are some additional suggestions in this discussion topic: Apps unexpectedly quit They were written for Tiger, but some still may apply to Leopard.

Most apps crash on 1st launch...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.