Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MP3s cannot be played on this iPod?

I just bought the newest-generation red 16GB iPod. I have a song that was NOT purchased in iTunes but that PLAYS in iTune, and which "was not copied to the ipod because it cannot be played on this ipod."

The song is an unprotected 160 kbps 44.100 kHz MP3 file--looking quickly I cannot tell in iTunes if it's variable rate.

I read some other forum questions and tried re-creating my iTunes library ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451) to no avail. I've also seen suggestions for converting the file format--especially when it comes to video, but also for some reason when it comes to MP3s. A) This seems silly, especially in light of the fact that B) the only option I seem to have is Apple Lossless, rather silly considering I'm converting from the lossiest of file formats.

To reiterate--this music was NOT bought in iTunes, then burnt and imported. This is a regular old (and I mean old) MP3 (MPEG-1, Layer 3) audio file.

Any help in keeping my temper in check and chucking my now largely useless iPod (it's happening with a LOT of the music I want to import) out the window would be MOST welcome. 🙂

I'm running build 8.0.0.35 on Windows Vista.

Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 3, 2008 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2008 5:13 AM

Just for gits and shiggles, I right clicked on the music and selected "Create Apple Lossless version" and was able to successfully copy the converted song over. But seriously, you're telling me I have to convert my nice small MP3 files to (in this case, although I'm a big fan and have all of my old CDs in this format) uselessly large Apple Lossless to get to play on my (rather limited in size compared to the Classic I'm starting to think I ought to have bought) iPod Nano?

What's the core problem here, and is Apple planning on doing anything about it?
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2008 5:13 AM in response to Todd V.

Just for gits and shiggles, I right clicked on the music and selected "Create Apple Lossless version" and was able to successfully copy the converted song over. But seriously, you're telling me I have to convert my nice small MP3 files to (in this case, although I'm a big fan and have all of my old CDs in this format) uselessly large Apple Lossless to get to play on my (rather limited in size compared to the Classic I'm starting to think I ought to have bought) iPod Nano?

What's the core problem here, and is Apple planning on doing anything about it?

Oct 3, 2008 2:48 PM in response to Todd V.

All iPods can play MP3 files. The question is simply why this particular file is giving you problems.

Do other MP3s work?

Have you tried using iTunes' MP3 converter to convert the MP3 to an MP3? You might just get a message saying it's already in the right format, or even if it works, this will cost you some fidelity, but trying it once or twice might at least give you some insight into what is going on.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the "Convert ID3 Tags" option to make sure the tags are up to date?

Oct 3, 2008 8:59 PM in response to Dont-Use-This-Forum

Thanks for the suggestions Jacob. I just tried the Convert ID3 Tags -- trying a few different options with no luck.

By iTunes MP3 converter, I'm not sure if you're referring to a feature inside iTunes -- which I don't seem to have (the only option is "Convert to Apple Lossless," which does work by the way but just seems awfully silly) -- or some external application. Could you clarify?

Many other MP3s work. I'm trying to analyze the differences between the ones that work and the ones that don't and have yet to see a real pattern. It seems more likely to happen with variable-rate encodings, but even that's not consistent...

I will say this--the ones that don't seem to be older MP3 files. Which kinda makes me wonder if it's not ID3-related... Do you have specific suggestions for which options I should try out with the "Convert ID3 Tags" option?

Thanks again!

Oct 4, 2008 8:11 PM in response to Todd V.

If you do end up having to Convert ALL of the MP3's in your iTunes library, than simply do this...

If you are on Windows, click a song in your library, than hold down CTRL and press A.. Than right click and click convert.

If you are on Mac, do the same thing, but instead, hold down Command (Apple) and press A.

My MP3s cannot be played on this iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.