Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssh fails with "Port 22: connection refused"

Hi there,
I'm trying to use ssh on my PowerBook G4 running OS 10.5. In particular, I'm trying to log into the PowerBook remotely using ssh from another machine. However, if I try to ssh into the PowerBook, I get an error saying "Port 22: Connection refused". I get this error even if I try to ssh into the IP of the PowerBook using the PowerBook itself. Is there something I have to do to turn on ssh in Leopard?

Thanks,
Adrian

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Oct 3, 2008 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2008 12:56 PM

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login

Also, are you trying to do this on the same local area network, or are you trying to do this across the internet.

If across the internet, you will need to make sure that your internet facing router is forwarding port 22 to your Powerbook.

Also make sure that your Mac OS X Firewall is allowing ssh remote logins: System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall. Of course if you have your Firewall turned off, this is not an issue.

If you continue have problems, the use the ssh -v, ssh -vv, and ssh -vvv option that will give you a great deal more diagnostic information.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2008 12:56 PM in response to parameter_poem

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login

Also, are you trying to do this on the same local area network, or are you trying to do this across the internet.

If across the internet, you will need to make sure that your internet facing router is forwarding port 22 to your Powerbook.

Also make sure that your Mac OS X Firewall is allowing ssh remote logins: System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall. Of course if you have your Firewall turned off, this is not an issue.

If you continue have problems, the use the ssh -v, ssh -vv, and ssh -vvv option that will give you a great deal more diagnostic information.

ssh fails with "Port 22: connection refused"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.