Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug in entering alarm time

When you first set up an alarm, the default "15 minutes before" appears. The problem is that the program assumes you are too stupid to remember to put in some number for the alert time. So, it does not allow you to erase both of the displayed digits, because there must always be at least one digit entered in the window. It therefore turns what should be a dirt-simple one-step edit into an unnecessary and stupid 2-step process:

Let's say you want to put in "30 minutes" instead of 15. You can NOT just select and delete the 15 and type 30, because iCal insists on leaving at least one of the existing digits. So, you have to go through a contorted combination of typing and deleting. For example, you can type 30 in front of the 15 to get 3015 minutes, or type 30 after the 15 to get 1530 minutes, and then you can delete the 15 digits. That's ridiculous.

The essential problem is that Apple still refuses to make it easy to report bugs like this that should have easy fixes. You can get reams of support and troubleshooting stuff, but when there is an obvious problem like this one, or an easy improvement or fix, you can only complain about it here, and there is no way of knowing if anyone from Apple ever reads this stuff. (Maybe there's a suggestion page for iCal -- if so, it's well hidden.)

I love Mac OS X. I hate Windows. We can only hope that never the twain shall meet in terms of customer responsiveness and basic intelligence.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Have several other Macs, too

Posted on Oct 3, 2008 12:27 PM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2008 7:56 PM in response to Niel

Thanks. I've posted the feedback bug report. By why are the feedback forms so nearly impossible to find? If they are listed in any links, they are certainly not obvious. And the form I filled out is under the Mac tab, not the Support tab -- that's not the least bit obvious.

But I greatly appreciate that Apple folks now seem to be monitoring and responding in the forums. That's a very welcome development!!! 🙂

Bug in entering alarm time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.