Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limewire and iTunes

Can you transfer songs from limewire to your iPod?

Posted on Sep 12, 2005 8:32 PM

14 replies

Sep 13, 2005 4:00 AM in response to Heymike

Why would Apple delete this post? Limewire is not illegal to use & he never said he was transferring illegal songs. He could have a bunch of idie artists or anything.

But yes, just open the songs you get from Limewire with iTunes and then you can make playlists with them and will be good to go.

Sep 13, 2005 11:52 AM in response to deggie

I had forgotten about these, and I haven't even heard of a few, like Anapod and GNUpod. These will work, but everytime iPod firmware is updated, or new hardware is released, functionality might be broken, and you'll have to wait for an update. At the time of this posting, none have been updated yet. Some aren't free, either.

Anyways, back to the original poster's question, you can't directly transfer songs from LimeWire onto the iPod, but you can set up LimeWire to automatically transfer downloaded songs into iTunes, and then you can use iTunes to put songs onto your iPod. Either that or try to use any of the apps deggie mentioned above, but LimeWire isn't integrated with any of those programs, AFAIK.

Sep 18, 2005 9:46 AM in response to Community User

A moderator deleted an earlier response of mine to a post about LimeWire.

Limewire has a setting in the preferences called "iTunes Support" and when you select this it will create a folder in iTunes called Limewire and transfer a copy of any songs that are downloaded via LimeWire into this folder.

Yes, LimeWire can be used for "legal" activities. Our posts should not be sensored like this. If Apple is concerned about this feature of LimeWire then they should address this in iTunes and not allow LimeWire to create a folder for downloads. To prevent an open discussion about this feature of LimeWire is not an effective way to prevent illegal downloads. FIX iTunes!

Sep 18, 2005 7:59 PM in response to olivier simard

No. iTunes handles many different types of audio files (and video too). mp3, aac, wav, aiff. The iPod can also handle these. iTunes can do ogg with a plugin (but the iPod can't). Pretty much the only formats iTunes doesn't handle are wma, real, flac, and shorten, I believe.

But mp3 (if that's what you meant by mpeg) it should handle fine. BTW, where did you get the impression that it had to be aac? I wonder what FUD campaign is having such a big impact...

Limewire and iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.