Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac wireless signal strength low

My iMac (Leopard 10.5.5) wireless was 4 bars (full strength) before. But for the past months, the signal strength is only 2-3 bars. I am not sure whether it happened after the 10.5.4 or 10.5.5. upgrade. I have searched this site, and did repair permission and the the PRAM trick, it doesn't help. Any additional suggestions?
My MacBook (Tiger 10.4.11) at the same spot gets 4 bars.

MacBook 2GHz, 1GB, 80G HD, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iMac 2.4GHz, 2GB, 320G HD, OS X 10.5.5, Windows XP

Posted on Oct 5, 2008 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2008 6:34 AM

In Leopard the reported signal strength is not just a matter of pure strength but of quality as well.

You may want to download iStumbler and check to make sure that no new Wi-Fi routers are now conflicting with yours.
4 replies

Oct 5, 2008 6:48 AM in response to tommykatts

To answer your question. 1)The strength was good on this iMac. It happened after upgrade, I think; 2) My MacBook (Tiger) has full strength at the same location. 3)I do get other wireless signals on the location, but they have lower strength. If you think that is interfering with my signal, how do I get rid of that? I think I only select my own wireless. Thanks.

Oct 5, 2008 6:54 AM in response to tommykatts

You're missing my point.

If say, your router uses Wi-Fi channel 6, and a neighbor decides one day to buy a router and his also uses channel 6, you will see a reduction in signal level on your iMac due to the interference on the same frequency from your neighbor's router.

This same thing can happen if your neighbor one day buys a 2.4 GHz cordless phone.

Of course if your nearest neighbor is a mile away, this isn't an issue but since you mention you can see multiple networks, it's good to check to make sure there aren't any new ones that could be interfering with the signal and/or that none of the other networks are now using the same channel as your router.

The only Wi-Fi channels that don't interfere with others are 1, 6 and 11, so in general you should pick one of those three if it's unused or the one with the weakest existing signal if you can't.

BTW, as a result of this, in many more crowded metropolitan areas, the bands are getting so crowded Wi-Fi just doesn't work any more unless a user has 802.11n equipment only, allowing them to move to the less crowded 5 GHz band…

Oct 5, 2008 7:18 AM in response to tommykatts

Hi This is what I found on iStumbler. somehow I can't post the screenshot on the post.

My signal is 60% noise 8%. Ch11. There are several other network detected signal is 20-30%, noise 8-9% on Ch 6 or 11.

Could you let me whether other network is interfering with mine so i get lower signal? If you need additional information, let me know. thanks a lot.

iMac wireless signal strength low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.