Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot launch or update Aperture 1.5 on OS X 10.5.5 Leopard

I have a promotional copy of Aperture 1.5 that always worked well on my iMac until I upgraded the OS to 10.5.5 Leopard. Ever since then, when I try to run Aperture, I get this message:

"You can't use this version of the application Aperture with this version of Mac OS X".

I've searched these discussion forums for advice and saw references to Aperture updates. I have tried several of the updates without success, starting with 1.5.6. With each version, I get an error message upon trying to run the installer:

When I try v1.5.6 the error reads
"Aperture 1.0 or later is required to install this update."

When I try v1.5.1 and 1.5.2 the error reads
"There was an error while evaluating JavaScript for the package."

Finally, I saw a reference to running ProKit update 4.5 and did update to that successfully. But it didn't change the behavior of Aperture in any way. I still get the same error when I try to run Aperture.

Does anyone have suggestions for how I can solve this? Or is the problem that since my original 1.5 copy of Aperture was promotional, I can't even update it to 1.5.6 (which I understand should work with Leopard)?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.5GB RAM

Posted on Oct 5, 2008 8:19 PM

3 replies

Oct 23, 2008 6:42 AM in response to xabman

I have the same issue with my copy of Aperture 1.x, which is not a promotional copy.

I bought it shortly after it came out and could not install it because I was running 10.3. Instead of buying 10.4 I waited for the release of 10.5. After installing 10.5 and running updates that got me up to 10.5.5, I installed it.

The installer did a system capability test and then allowed me to do the install.

When I tried to launch the application I got the message, "this version of Aperture will not run on this version of OS X".

Oct 27, 2008 8:42 AM in response to Drew8888

You need Aperture 1.5.5 or 1.5.6 to run on Leopard.

So after installing it, run Software Update to get the latest version.

If you get the "Aperture version XXX is required to run this update," check to ensure that Aperture is in your /Applications folder. If you create a subfolder (e.g. Photo Applications) in /Applications and tuck it there, Software Update _will not_ find it. In 99 of 100 times, this is the problem when Software Update refuses to update. Triple check.

I cannot launch or update Aperture 1.5 on OS X 10.5.5 Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.