7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2008 3:04 PM by CiaoCiao
grnfrog55 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hey guys, what happens to the aim session when the phone enters standby mode? Am I still signed on? Away? offline? what happens if someone ims me then? Anyone test this out?

thinkpad, Windows Vista, none
  • neuroanatomist Level 7 Level 7 (31,690 points)
    iPhone apps cannot run in the background. When you exit the AIM app, you are signed out. If someone IMs you, you'll get the message next time you launch the AIM app, but there is no notification that a message was received until you launch the AIM app.

Some 3rd party IM apps can maintain you as "online" - MobileChat, Beejive, can do that. Some can send you an SMS notification when you receive a message, so you know to launch the app.
  • DJRumpy Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    Just set AIM to send messages to your iPhone when your 'offline'. You don't miss anything that way, and you don't have to have AIM running on your phone to get IM's.
  • neuroanatomist Level 7 Level 7 (31,690 points)
    DJRumpy wrote:
    Just set AIM to send messages to your iPhone when your 'offline'. You don't miss anything that way, and you don't have to have AIM running on your phone to get IM's.

How would one set AIM to do that on the iPhone?
  • DJRumpy Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    You have to log into AIM via their website to set that up. Hopefully it will let me post links here:

www.aim.com

Then log in and go to 'My Account'. You will have an option for 'Mobile'. Select that, put in your phone number. You will receive a text message on your phone verifying it as a valid number, and then setup your options as to who and when you receive IM's from on your mobile.

Hope that helps
  • CiaoCiao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    When sending a message via AIM to a cell phone number,(from either an iPhone or iTouch) I'm assuming the person can reply, right? Does it appear like a chat box?
  • tokatta Level 3 Level 3 (865 points)
    Keep in mind that if you pay per text, this can get expensive.
  • CiaoCiao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    You don't get charged text messages by using AIM.