Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

AIM Question

1200 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2008 3:04 PM by CiaoCiao RSS
grnfrog55 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 7, 2008 7:13 AM
Hey guys, what happens to the aim session when the phone enters standby mode? Am I still signed on? Away? offline? what happens if someone ims me then? Anyone test this out?
thinkpad, Windows Vista, none
  • neuroanatomist Level 7 Level 7 (31,685 points)
    Oct 7, 2008 7:53 AM (in response to grnfrog55)
    iPhone apps cannot run in the background. When you exit the AIM app, you are signed out. If someone IMs you, you'll get the message next time you launch the AIM app, but there is no notification that a message was received until you launch the AIM app.

Some 3rd party IM apps can maintain you as "online" - MobileChat, Beejive, can do that. Some can send you an SMS notification when you receive a message, so you know to launch the app.
    17" CD MBP, iPhone 3G, iPodTouch, Mac OS X (10.4.11),  since the ][e
  • DJRumpy Calculating status...
    Nov 10, 2008 10:26 AM (in response to neuroanatomist)
    Just set AIM to send messages to your iPhone when your 'offline'. You don't miss anything that way, and you don't have to have AIM running on your phone to get IM's.
    MacBook Pro 17" / iPhone 3G / iPhone Edge, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.5 Ghz / Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram
  • neuroanatomist Level 7 Level 7 (31,685 points)
    Nov 10, 2008 10:29 AM (in response to DJRumpy)
    DJRumpy wrote:
    Just set AIM to send messages to your iPhone when your 'offline'. You don't miss anything that way, and you don't have to have AIM running on your phone to get IM's.

How would one set AIM to do that on the iPhone?
    17" CD MBP, iPhone 3G, iPodTouch, Mac OS X (10.4.11),  since the ][e
  • DJRumpy Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    Nov 10, 2008 11:09 AM (in response to neuroanatomist)
    You have to log into AIM via their website to set that up. Hopefully it will let me post links here:

www.aim.com

Then log in and go to 'My Account'. You will have an option for 'Mobile'. Select that, put in your phone number. You will receive a text message on your phone verifying it as a valid number, and then setup your options as to who and when you receive IM's from on your mobile.

Hope that helps
    MacBook Pro 17" / iPhone 3G / iPhone Edge, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.5 Ghz / Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram
  • CiaoCiao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 28, 2008 6:26 AM (in response to DJRumpy)
    When sending a message via AIM to a cell phone number,(from either an iPhone or iTouch) I'm assuming the person can reply, right? Does it appear like a chat box?
    Sony, Windows Vista
  • tokatta Calculating status...
    Dec 28, 2008 7:57 AM (in response to DJRumpy)
    Keep in mind that if you pay per text, this can get expensive.
    HAL, Other OS, The size of a spaceship
  • CiaoCiao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 28, 2008 3:04 PM (in response to tokatta)
    You don't get charged text messages by using AIM.
    Sony, Windows Vista

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.