Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AIM Question

Hey guys, what happens to the aim session when the phone enters standby mode? Am I still signed on? Away? offline? what happens if someone ims me then? Anyone test this out?

thinkpad, Windows Vista, none

Posted on Oct 7, 2008 7:13 AM

7 replies

Oct 7, 2008 7:53 AM in response to grnfrog55

iPhone apps cannot run in the background. When you exit the AIM app, you are signed out. If someone IMs you, you'll get the message next time you launch the AIM app, but there is no notification that a message was received until you launch the AIM app.

Some 3rd party IM apps can maintain you as "online" - MobileChat, Beejive, can do that. Some can send you an SMS notification when you receive a message, so you know to launch the app.

Nov 10, 2008 11:09 AM in response to neuroanatomist

You have to log into AIM via their website to set that up. Hopefully it will let me post links here:

www.aim.com

Then log in and go to 'My Account'. You will have an option for 'Mobile'. Select that, put in your phone number. You will receive a text message on your phone verifying it as a valid number, and then setup your options as to who and when you receive IM's from on your mobile.

Hope that helps 😉

AIM Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.