Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Slide to Unlock" intermittently unresponsive

I have an original iPhone which is exhibiting some behavior that's been driving me crazy as of late.

Sometimes, when I go to use it, the iPhone will not respond to the "Slide to Unlock" control. I'll slide my finger across it, but it will not respond; the thumb stays pegged to the left.

Sometimes, turning the mute switch on and off will get it to respond, oddly, but sometimes, this technique doesn't work. Other times, I just have to turn it off and on several times before it responds. And sometimes, the finger-swipe works the first time like a charm. I haven't been able to reproduce any steps to get it to behave the same way each time.

Once it responds, the iPhone works normally; in particular, there are no "dead areas" in the location on the screen where the "slide to unlock" control happens, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. This unresponsiveness only appears to occur on the "slide to unlock" screen. Rebooting the device doesn't change this behavior.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Original iPhone, Other OS

Posted on Oct 8, 2008 10:09 PM

6 replies

Dec 6, 2008 6:16 PM in response to John C Chamberlin

I have the same EXACT issue with my 1st gen. iPhone. I notice that when the sim is out and I wake it up out of it's sleep, the "no sim installed" button shows up and the screen does NOT respond to my touch to close the button. I think this problem has to do with when the iPhone wakes up. It affects the whole screen, not just the "slide to unlock". It also happens when I get a phone call when the iPhone is sleeping, the "slide to answer" doesn't respond to my touch. It's more annoying than anything, but should get fixed. I hope that Apple fixes this bug IMMEDIATELY!!!

Dec 10, 2008 1:22 PM in response to John C Chamberlin

I have had this exact same issues as well. Also a 1st Gen phone. Completely up to date. I notice that it ALWAYS happens in the morning, when I first go to use the phone. Sometimes the battery dies during the night, sometimes not. When it is alive in the morning, and I try to swipe to open, it does not respond. Like the OP, I have had varying success with different combinations of the mute, home, sleep and combo's of said buttons, while activating the screen. I have also had success, using the sleep button to turn it on, and holding my thumb in the area of the slider as the screen turns on.

I will note that I have only started experiencing this problem with the newest firmwares, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2. Before that, I never had any sort of issue in the past. I also have one small dead pixel in the status bar of the springboard, but as it's nowhere near anything that I have to "click" on, it's not a problem for me.

Like the other poster's, I am hoping that this issue gets fixed pronto, since it's causing me to miss calls, since I can't slide to answer....

Dec 11, 2008 7:09 PM in response to John C Chamberlin

I suspect it may have something to do with the new update too. I have the volume slider and the brightness slider exhibit those problems. I find that I can get them to move if I press real hard. This is a projected capacitive touch screen rather than a resistive type but it appears that flattening out your finger to take in more area seems to make things happen. It seems to be more prone to happen when the iPhone is burdened with activities. Give it a try and see if it works to press harder and hope for a software update.

"Slide to Unlock" intermittently unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.