Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rename songs, please help if you can?

Some songs I load into itunes won't let me rename them. I right click on the info tab and everything is greyed out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Randy

pc, Windows 2000

Posted on Oct 9, 2008 12:59 AM

8 replies

Oct 9, 2008 1:31 AM in response to playloud

You don't say what type of files these are. Sometimes with MP3s, iTunes doesn't like the tags. Old versions of iTunes used to have a convert ID3 tag option on the Advanced menu, but it seems to have disappeared on V8.

If you really are using Windows 2000, you should still have the option. Try converting the ID3 tag type to none on a copy of one of the tracks as an experiment.

Otherwise, are the problem files set to read only, or are the permissions set so your account does not have write access.

Oct 11, 2008 2:03 AM in response to playloud

That suggest that the files in question have been set to read only, or somehow you do not have permission to alter them.

Find a problem track, an easy way is to right click on it and select show in Windows explorer.

Right click on the file and select properties, is read only checked? Is so un check it and try again.

If that's not it, right click on the containing folder and select Properties>>Security. Does your account have full control? If not give it full control and try again.

Nov 19, 2008 8:08 PM in response to playloud

I have a similar problem. For example I have a MP3 called "Ain't Talking 'Bout Dub" by Apollo 440. Itunes has it as Apollo Four Forty. Itunes allows me to change it to Apollo 440 and it keeps the change but then when I play the song it instantly changes back to Apollo Four Forty. I have checked & I do have read Write permission to this file. Also I have my entire itunes library on my TimeCapsule.

I'm pretty annoyed. Help.

Jan 22, 2009 8:18 AM in response to stn774477@me.com

Song Name Edits & Corrections Don't Get Saved, Change Back to CDDB Names

I have a similar problem. I have been importing aerobics CD's (for teaching spin & group fitness classes). The song name information sometimes comes in perfectly correct. There are 2 other ways it comes in that have to be fixed:

1. song names come in as Track01, Track02, etc.
2. song names come in slightly misspelled or with additional info I don't want to be in the name column (name examples: "I Need a Heroe," "Flo Rida - Low Radio Clean" "2005 HipHopHits ClapBack")

On top of that (even when the information imports perfectly) I still like to rename the songs like this:

"Song Name ###bpm Which Moves/Drills/Workout to Do"
e.g.
"Yeah! 140bpm Moderate Tension Sprints 25sec x 4"
"Clap Back 130bpm Low Steppin' 32-count + BootyMix Combo"

This helps me save time & organize playlists for each class.

The problem is that after I go to the trouble of typing in all of my added info, it doesn't stay edited about 75% of the time. (When I click on the newly edited song to play it, the name changes back to its originally imported name, not my personalized name; all my changes/additions disappear.)

How can I get my editing to be saved & not change back to the imported name?
Thank you for any help!

Can't rename songs, please help if you can?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.