Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deinterlace issues - struggling to find the right workflow

Greetings. Am suddenly confronted with a deinterlacing issue. Here's what I did:
- Shot SD video with a HDR-FX1
- Captured footage; clips are: 29.97 fps, 720 x 480, DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, NTSC - CCIR 601, Anamorphic
- Used on a sequence preset to: DV NTSC 48kHz Anamorphic
- Added basic FCP text (Arial) and a .psd logo (Photoshop Widescreen preset)
- Export fully rendered movie to QuickTime (self-contained unchecked)
- Brought into Compressor

And now, whether I compress it as H.264 LAN or as DVD: Best Quality 90 minutes (I need both formats), the video is terribly interlaced, while the font and logo looks super crisp.

If I check deinterlace in Compressor, the video looks good (not great), but the font and logo become very pixelated.

I've never had such an interlace issue before. Does anyone have an idea about what I should do differently?

Thanks, much!

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Oct 9, 2008 4:13 PM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2008 9:04 PM in response to Kevan D. Holdsworth

They're different, actually. When checking the clips on the timeline, the Field Dominance is:
Video footage: Lower (Even)
Photoshop image: Not Set
FCP text clips: Not set (and Pixel Aspect is Square; others are NTSC - CCIR 601)

Could this inconsistency be the problem? If yes, should I just change the settings in FCP, or do I need to adjust the image in PSD? By the way, the Photoshop Pixel Aspect is: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.2). Is that correct?

I'll play around with the settings and hopefully find the solution. But any further tips and/or confirmations would be appreciated.

Oct 11, 2008 12:42 PM in response to Alexander Signer

Sorry I've not gotten back sooner, I'm on the road.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here...I'm unfamiliar with your camera and pretty novice with Photoshop.

Your dilemna sounds odd, but ideally the field order should match through the entire workflow. Have you checked if there is a field order setting in Compressor that needs to conform as well?

K

Oct 11, 2008 5:03 PM in response to Kevan D. Holdsworth

Thanks for getting back while on the road, Kevin. I've found a way to solve the issue as good as I could considering the timeframe and my (little) knowledge. I've had to play around with the different Deinterlacing settings in Compressor (Sharp, Blur, etc.). Blur did the trick, and now text as well as video looks pretty crisp.

Cheers.

Deinterlace issues - struggling to find the right workflow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.