Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar & Time Zones

Does anyone know how to make your calander appointments automatically change when you change time zones. I just missed a phone call because I traveled to a differnt time zone, the call was at 9am Easter Time, but I was in Central Time...so the reminder didn't go off until 9am Central Time, 10am Eastern Time.

iphone 3G, Other OS

Posted on Oct 12, 2008 7:08 PM

11 replies

Oct 12, 2008 7:13 PM in response to New York 001

Page 76 iphone manual:

"Set iPhone to adjust event times for a selected time zone:
1 In Settings, choose General > Date & Time.
2 Turn Time Zone Support on.
3 Tap Time Zone and search for a major city in the time zone you want.
When Time Zone Support is on, Calendar displays event dates and times in the time
zone of the city you selected. When Time Zone Support is off, Calendar displays events
in the time zone of your current location as determined by the network time. "

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Oct 29, 2008 2:28 PM in response to bigtar

bigtar wrote:
So he would have wanted Time Zone Support OFF in order to make the appointment switch to 8Am Central time (9AM Eastern Time)?

This is what I'm finding out, although it doesn't make sense to me. I'm currently traveling in a different time zone. I have time zone support turned off in iCal on my MacBook and on my iPhone. I thought that by having time zone support turned off, it would leave my appointments alone and keep them at the same time no matter where I happened to be. But no, my iPhone automatically adjusted my appointments by one hour even though I had time zone support turned off.

Oct 29, 2008 8:49 PM in response to ksteryous

So if you turn time zone support ON, do your appointments revert back to the time you want them?

I have always thought that the explanation was unclear.

If the Chargers are playing (losing) at 1600 Eastern, 1300 Pacific, i want my iphone to show that the game starts at 1000 if I am in Maui. I don't know if that means have Time Zone Support On or OFF

Oct 30, 2008 5:42 AM in response to siufai

This is correct. So if you take a pill every day at 8am and have a calendar entry set for that, you would turn time zone support on and your 8am appt. would stay at 8am even if you travel to a new time zone that is 5 hours ahead.

If your 8am appt. is for a conf call with people in EST and you travel 5 hours ahead to the UK, you would turn time zone support off. Your phone would sync to local time so 8am EST would be 1PM London. Your 8am meeting would move on your calendar to 1PM. You want to dial the phone at 1pm UK time so that you catch the people in NY at 8am EST.

I don't see much use for turning Time Zone Support ON as I have meetings with people in different time zones and I travel, but I am sure some people will do this if all there events are local time to them.

Oct 31, 2008 11:42 PM in response to tokatta

Now there is another way to look at it. I have my time updated by the network. If I turn Time Zone Support ON, and set my time to San Diego, I have the correct time. When I travel to Hawaii, the time changes automatically. Then I need to change the time zone to Hawaii, and my appointments will shift as well. I guess it works if you are changing the time zone to your current time zone. I'm guessing that it will also create appointments in the time zone that is selected.

Message was edited by: bigtar

Nov 1, 2008 1:35 AM in response to bigtar

Exactly.

Time zone support only works when you've entered the events at the correct time, so that they follow correcty.

I live in the UK and need to speak to someone in NY at 9 am Eastern, I need to have a call scheduled in my calendar, when I put it in in London, for 2pm UK time.

That way, when I go to NY and tell the iPhone I'm in NY with Timezone support switched on, the calendar entry I put in for 2pm local in the UK now will go off at 9am Eastern.

So it does do exactly what it says on the tin, but you need to put the entries in correctly for it to work correctly.

Nov 1, 2008 2:37 AM in response to roaminggnome

I just bought the iphone and am running 2.1 software. The description in the manual does not show me Time Zone support. Im not sure this point matters to this thread, but am trouble with appt times after syncing with Outlook. Anyway, if anyone else is lost after following the 'manual', on my iPhone, you get to time zone support by going Settings-> Mail Contacts,Calendars->and scroll to bottom page (it is NOT where the manual says it is).

Dec 3, 2008 12:57 PM in response to lbhough

I have combed through pages of old posts on this topic, and while I know this won't make me look very smart, I am still confused by time zone support. What I'm confused about:

My iPhone is set to automatically change the time of my phone based on my location, so when I fly from Washington, DC to Texas, it switches from ET to CT. What confuses me is, say I have entered into calendar a 10 am ET conference call, but the call takes place when I'm in Texas. How will automatic time setting and time zone support impact this scheduled call in my iPhone?

The follow-up to this is, say that I know that while I'm in Texas I'll be having dinner with friends at 6 pm local time, meaning central time. I enter "Dinner with friends" at 6 pm into my calendar. Now, when I fly from D.c. to Texas, will the 6 pm dinner entry in my iPhone be moved around based on the various settings in my iPhone? What do I do if I don't want iPhone to mess with the times of my appointments? In other words, what if I want times in my calendar/iPhone to always be eastern time?

Feb 20, 2009 7:23 AM in response to ntvtxngop

Hi

I've just been having a play and now understand the options...

So with timezone support turned off
-----
1. When entering a calendar entry it auto enters it in the timezone you select
2. When viewing the calendar entry it auto displays it at the current timezone
3. So I live in England, and lets say have a meeting in France, I have to enter the meeting time in local time to England (so if we are + 1 I enter it one hour early). That way I'll be reminded at the right time when I'm in france

With timezone support turned on
-----
1. When entering a calendar entry it defaults to a selected time, but I can also change the timezone for an individual appointment which will automatically calculate the correction
2. When viewing the calendar, it will show it at the "selected" time zone no matter where I am in the world
3. This way I can be in England, select new appointment and put the real time it will be in France, select Paris as timezone and it will automatically adjust it for me while I've still got London timezone for the calendar selected. However when I go to france I have to manually change the timezone for the calendar.

Surely the solution would be a hybrid of the two:
1. When entering my appointment I can select which timezone I want to enter it in
2. When I view it, it shows appointment for the current timezone Im in
3. When I move to a new timezone, it auto adjusts the calendar timezone

I assume my solution is not available?

Calendar & Time Zones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.