Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update's Packages Folder missing

I have noticed in recent versions of Leopard that the "Install & Keep" option in Software Update no longer appears to save the recently downloaded packages.

Installation via Software Update used to complete by opening the Packages folder (with installed files visible) in the Finder but this no longer occurs.

Help states that they can be found in ~Library>Packages but this folder is simply not there.

The behaviour is the same on two separate computers, (PPC and Intel).

I'm not sure at what point (ie.version of 10.5) this started happening (or NOT happening) but I'm currently running the latest (10.5.5)

Any ideas?

mac mini PPC 1.42Ghz 1GB, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2008 1:40 PM

12 replies

Oct 13, 2008 2:00 PM in response to benevision

They are now saved in the Downloads folder. From Mac Help in the Finder's Help menu:

A Finder window opens showing the saved installer packages. To install an item on another computer, copy the installer to the other computer, and then double-click the installer.

Saved updates are located in the Downloads folder on your hard disk.

For more information, visit the Mac OS X Install and Upgrade Support website at www.apple.com/support/leopard/install.

Oct 13, 2008 2:33 PM in response to Kappy

Leopard has a bug, wherein, most Software Updates are initially put into /Library/Updates/ (the others into ~/Downloads/). However, the bug is that when completing the installation, those put into /Library/Updates/ are blown away, even is *Save package* was selected. Bugs filed and Apple reports that it's a known problem. See http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8270079 for a recent discussion on this. I copy the ones put into /Library/Updates/ to another folder before allowing the update to be installed. After the update's installed, I move into /Library/Updates/.

Oct 13, 2008 2:52 PM in response to baltwo

Funny, but all mine end up in the Downloads folder without any problems. I always save updates from SU until the stand-alones are available. Ever since I installed the Leopard betas updates have been going to Downloads folder. I've not seen this behavior on my systems.

Just for my edification do you have the link to the Apple KB or report so I can file it in my collection?

Oct 13, 2008 4:17 PM in response to Kappy

Sorry, I assumed you were familiar with the bug reporter system, wherein they only send out responses WRT to original bugs when they've confirmed them. Here's the preceding sentence: *After further investigation it has been determined that this is a known issue, which is currently being investigated by engineering.*

Oct 13, 2008 4:23 PM in response to Kappy

thanks for your reply...

I don't see ANY packages in my Downloads folder.

I must say I'm alarmed to come here and see just how many users have been having problems with SU. I always assumed it was some sort of infallible integrated piece of software.

It looks pretty shoddy that Apple can't even keep their Help files consistent between apps (i.e. SoftwareUpdate & Finder)!

Oct 13, 2008 4:30 PM in response to benevision

Two things.

1) Software Update has worked on my two machines and my mate's 17" iMac, without any issues except as I noted WRT where packages are being saved. My work-around suffices to eliminate that issue.

2) The Help files explain the intended behavior->all downloads are to be saved to Downloads. What's not clear is why there's a /Library/Updates/ unless it's function is to maintain the index.plist file for SU to use to ascertain which updates are needed.

Oct 13, 2008 4:37 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:
I copy the ones put into /Library/Updates/ to another folder before allowing the update to be installed. After the update's installed, I move into /Library/Updates/.

Thanks baltwo, I'll try that...

It is somewhat annoying that the help info in SU is out of date, and that the new behaviour mentioned in Finder's Help info just doesn't happen for me!
It's kind of important for those of us that have limited download quotas or slow connections...

I also notice that SU now downloads updates before I have actually agreed to it!
The only "choice" SU is offering is to install, not download!

This is bad news for people who have download restrictions or limits and need to avoid downloading files at certain times.
Apple behaving more like Microsoft IMO...

Oct 13, 2008 4:55 PM in response to baltwo

Sorry, I see now I miss-read the SoftwareUpdate Help file.
It DOES say it will be saved to Downloads
(funny how your mind can only see what it wants to sometimes!).

What I'm NOT getting (and always used to when this process worked) is a Finder window opening to display the downloaded packages, wherever they are.

The "Install & Keep" option is clearly to be avoided, from now on I will choose "Download only" and go looking for them where you suggest...

I would like to know at what point SoftwareUpdate decides to download updates without permission. Is it when you launch the app? I have a peak/off-peak data account and need to get this happening during my off-peak times somehow...

Oct 13, 2008 5:02 PM in response to benevision

I would like to know at what point SoftwareUpdate decides to download updates without permission. Is it when you launch the app?

When System Preferences->Software Update->Scheduled Check->Download important updates automatically, under Check for Updates, is checked. FWIW, I only check manually and then decide what I want to do. When I select *install and save packages*, I open up /Library/Updates/, let SU do its thing, and copy (not move) the updates to a Desktop folder. When the installation's complete, I transfer those back to /Library/Updates/.

Oct 29, 2008 9:49 AM in response to baltwo

I just did a reinstall of my system and tried to do install and keep packages and they don't seem to be saved anywhere. I did not check Library/updates, but they had previously been going to my downloads folder. I wanted to keep them in case I needed them again as comcast caps downloads now.

Am I out of luck? I am running 10.5.5. It worked fine before on my old 10.5.5 system.

Software Update's Packages Folder missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.