Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock advise needed please

Hi - I'm in the UK and require a dock for my 2G Touch that will charge and present good quality audio line out to input into an amplifier. My preference would be for the dock to be mains powered, rather than requiring a USB.

Any ideas? There's a Belkin model available in the US that ticks the right boxes, but I can't get that in the UK.

I've looked at Apple products but technical support are so vague in clarifying that what they suggest will actually do what I want........... I'm not interested in a solution that syncs, just that charges my Touch and will provide decent quality line level outputs into some high end hifi kit.

Any suggestions would be very welcome..............cheers............S

DELL D630 Latitude, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2008 11:44 PM

11 replies

Oct 14, 2008 9:37 AM in response to S4MST3R

There is only one dock now that works with the iPod Touch, (iPT) and that is the Apple Universal Dock. Don't confuse this with the older iPod Universal Dock made in 2004. The only difference in the name is one uses "APPLE" and the other one uses "Ipod", (at the beginning of the name.)

The correct part number from Apple for the "APPLE UNIVERSAL DOCK" is: MB125G/A

This dock has a security chip in it, that allows video to pass through, when connecting an AV cable, (component or composite) to the dock and your TV. The AV cables also have the same security chip in them as well. All other third party docks and connectors will not allow passage of video currently, from the iPT and many will not charge the iPT.

The iPT checks for this chip, when it is connected via the dock and if not found, stops video from leaving the iPT.

This dock is also powered via a USB cable connected to a power supply or computer. It is also powered by the AV cables, (which come with a power supply as part of the AV cable purchase.)

You can tell the difference between the older iPod Universal Dock and the Apple Universal Dock by checking for an S-Video connector. The older iPod Universal Dock has one, the new Apple Universal Dock does not!

Oct 23, 2008 2:44 PM in response to S4MST3R

The advice I've been given seems incorrect. I have spent a lot of money on the supposed 'proper' Apple dock for my Touch along with a horrendously overpriced AV cable, yet the dock won't even charge my 2G Touch! What use is that? Given that the battery life is so dire on the second generation Touch, charging whilst in the cradle is critical

Whilst talking about firmware 2.1, aside from problems with battery life, what have Apple done in firmware 2.1 that has rendered so many accessories useless? All I'm hearing is people with 2G Touch's who can no longer charge from their £300 Bose systems, people with brand new cars with iPod docks that won't work with the 2G Touch...... so many issues with this thing, all I want is for it to sound decent and charge through my high end hi-fi. It's not this effing diffult with any of my Creative devices, and they sound better!

Sort it out will you Apple? Your tech support can't offer a solution, there's no continuity in what any of the staff I speak to tell me. Can somebody please just tell me how I can charge a 2G Touch whilst outputting via a dock into an amplifier?

Message was edited by: S4MST3R

Message was edited by: S4MST3R

Oct 23, 2008 2:41 PM in response to S4MST3R

Information in response not complete.
How are you plugging a power cable into the dock? Do you have an AC adapter to plug into the wall? Is it a USB AC adapter?
Using only the AV cables will not cahrge it.

There was nothing done in firmware to render accessories useless.
the 2G touch does not charge via FireWire, only USB.
Apple told vendors over two years ago FireWire charging was going away.

It's not this effing diffult with any of my Creative devices, and they sound better!

Then why did you purchase an iPod?

Oct 23, 2008 2:58 PM in response to Chris CA

I'm using the USB power adaptor that came with the component AV Cable, and the Universal Dock as recommended here..........

The 2G does charge via firewire (older chargers) straight out of the box, as soon as you've connected it to iTunes it stops doing so - this led me to the conclusion that it's a software thing? I stand to be corrected.

I bought a Touch because it offers me some great functionality that no other device does - I'd already read that it doesn't sound as good as some older iPod models. What's infuriating me is that I've just spent a further £72 on a dock and AV cable, and what I get is my Touch playing through my hi-fi for about 90mins, not sounding too great to be honest and then it needs more juice. I expect more.

Oct 24, 2008 6:59 AM in response to S4MST3R

I own the Component AV cables and the NEW Apple Universal Dock, (Part Number MB125G/A) and my iPod Touch charges perfectly in the dock as well as just being connected to the AV cable.

If it is not charging, there are only a few things that would prevent it from not charging. A bad AV cable, bad charger for the AV cable, or a defective Dock.

If your iPT charges when connected to the USB cable that came with your iPT, then you can rule-out the iPT. I would then connect the iPT to the Apple Universal Dock and connect the USB cable that is connected to your computer, (to the dock) and if it charges there, then the dock is good, (if not, you have a bad dock.)

I would then connect the iPT to just the AV cable, with the power charger connected to the AV cable, (make sure that the charger is plugged into a good power source) if that doesn't work, then you have a bad charger or AV cable. You can narrow this down by connecting the end of the AV cable that connects to the charger, to a USB port on your computer and the dock connector to your iPT. If the iPT charges, then the AV cable is good. If this is the case, then the suspect that the charger unit is bad.

Let us know what you find.

Nov 30, 2008 7:23 AM in response to S4MST3R

S4MST3R wrote:

... The 2G does charge via firewire (older chargers) straight out of the box, as soon as you've connected it to iTunes it stops doing so - this led me to the conclusion that it's a software thing? I stand to be corrected.

If you conencted it to a Firewire charger, you may have fried the charging circuit in your iPod Touch, which could explain some of the trouble you are having.

-dan

Dock advise needed please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.