Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support for 30" Cinema Display

Does anyone know if all I need is the Mini Display Port to Dual-Link DVI Adapter to use my 30" cinema display as an external monitor on the new MBP?

MacBook Pro core 2 duo, 30" Cinema Display, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 14, 2008 3:59 PM

7 replies

Oct 14, 2008 4:17 PM in response to Jack Slice

Jack Slice wrote:
Does anyone know if all I need is the Mini Display Port to Dual-Link DVI Adapter to use my 30" cinema display as an external monitor on the new MBP?

That should be it.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

Use the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter to connect your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air to a 30-inch display that includes a DVI connector, such as the 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD, and enjoy the ultimate widescreen canvas with a resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels.

Oct 23, 2008 6:33 PM in response to krypttic

I just went to the Apple Store tonight in Altamonte Springs, FL. Not only did they not have it, but the staff was COMPLETELY unaware that the adapter was required (THREE of the staff members!) They tried to hand me a different adapter. I had to educate them on their own product, and all they did is pull it up on the website and 4-5 weeks is the timeframe. It was unbelievable how clueless the staff at this Apple Store was. So I myself cannot even consider this new MBP until it will work with my monitor. I just don't understand WHY an adapter takes so long to produce!!

Nov 3, 2008 3:34 AM in response to Jack Slice

Jack Slice wrote:

Curious. Does the late 2008 MBP operate an external KVM while closed, or does it have to remain partly open as most other laptops do? I've never used with external before. Just asking.

Nov 4, 2008 10:18 AM in response to HenryS

I too have found out the hard-way that a 30" cinema does not work on the new MBP with a "Dual-Link Adapter". I just did a "Chat" with someone from the Apple Store who told me the adapters were available at other non-apple stores. however, I am have trouble finding them. Has anyone out there be able to find a solution/dual-link adapter? Any help would be appreciated.
-ROD

Nov 7, 2008 2:22 AM in response to ewrrod

ewrrod wrote:
I too have found out the hard-way that a 30" cinema does not work on the new MBP with a "Dual-Link Adapter". I just did a "Chat" with someone from the Apple Store who told me the adapters were available at other non-apple stores. however, I am have trouble finding them. Has anyone out there be able to find a solution/dual-link adapter? Any help would be appreciated.
-ROD

MB571Z/A is the part to get, but on Google every link I checked shows it out of stock / coming in. YMMV. Such is the thing with newer technology. If you're out in front (early adopter) you may get arrows in the back from all those followers. Make the point at the Apple Store. That's my only recommendation.

Other good news? Someone will get it and sell it (most likely Apple) to you.

Support for 30" Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.