Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mini-DVI to mini-Display port connector?

Is Apple releasing a cable that connects mini-dvi to mini-display port?

My company today told me that I will get a new Macbook Pro with a mini-display port built in, but I ordered a cinema display directly from Apple.

I plan to connect the new Macbook Pro to the new cinema display (so I can watch all my TV shows in GLORIOUS HD AND IN C.O.L.O.U.R) but I also want to connect my old black Macbook, and my Mac Pro to the new cinema display. (so other members in my family can use the display on their own macbooks when I'm not using it)

This cable will REALLY help, otherwise, I feel like I just bought a new display for myself.

Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Oct 14, 2008 4:31 PM

139 replies

Oct 15, 2008 2:56 AM in response to JacobDeane

I was about to purchase a 24" iMac and the 23" Cinema display to go with it. In fact, I very nearly purchased a week ago, but travel plans meant I delayed.

Apple won't be seeing any money from me until either the existing iMac is compatible with the new display, or alternatively, new iMacs with DisplayPorts are released.

I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one holding back.

Nov 27, 2008 10:13 AM in response to zeraien

I need one too. I ordered a display and a new Macbook Air. The apple people told me it was NO PROBLEM connecting it to an 17" Macbook Pro.... well it is, it is fine with the Air, but sometimes I rather have my much faster Pro connected to the screen, I do not even care that much about the isight or the speakers. When will Apple ever learn?

Nov 29, 2008 10:37 PM in response to Mark Berthold

Can't You combine the miniDisplayPort-DVI and the DVI-miniDVI to use an old MacBook and the new Display?

No. Those adapter only move signals to pins on different connectors. The new display needs a different digital video signal. The new computers with Mini DisplayPort can generate the older DVI signals when a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter is detected. The older DVI computers cannot generate DisplayPort video signals.

Dec 1, 2008 5:42 PM in response to Yeu-Ting Liu

Apple just today has announced free licensing of their MDP technology so that third party companies can incorporate it themselves as well as build things like adapters. I have been saying since this whole controversy started, that Apple would never change their entire product line to MDP and effectively orphan an entire legacy group from upgrading with Apple products, especially in this economy. So before this thread ets ugly, read the article from Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/12/01/apple-offers-free-licensing -for-mini-displayport-spec

mini-DVI to mini-Display port connector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.