Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your computer isn't connected to the internet"

I hope I can make this succinct....

Earlier today, Airport suddenly quit working. I couldn't access the internet (getting message "your computer isn't connected to the internet") and my email wouldn't work. I restarted the computer and it worked fine, for awhile. Then the same problem arose.

I ran the network diagnostics. When i started, all Network Status lights were red (Airport, Airport settings, Network settings, ISP, Internet, Server all said "failed".)

I selected the location "automatic" and then chose network port configuration "Airport". That made the airport light turn green, but the rest remained red.

It asked me which airport network to join and i picked the appropriate one. I know the network is working because I'm using it on a separate computer to type and send this. The airport light remained green and the rest remained red.

It asked if I use PPPoE or DHCP. Since I've always used DHCP in the past, I presume that continues to be the case. So I chose DHCP.

It asked if I use a cable modem or DSL. I said yes, but it didn't need to be reset.

The first couple times I tried this diagnostic, the ISP button would turn yellow in the beginning and later a pop up would showup saying "yor network settings have changed" or something to that effect.

Any idea what might be causing this and/or how to solve it? I presume a network setting just got messed up but I have no idea what it might be.

Ibook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Oct 14, 2008 6:17 PM

2 replies

Oct 14, 2008 11:12 PM in response to 7426k

Hi, was this after the dreaded last Security update or two?

Two things to try right now...

Try putting these numbers in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers...

Then Apply. These are safer/faster than most ISP's NDS numbers, and have been patched against DNS poisoning.

Sometimes having an all OFF Location can help, thanks to Gnarlodious...

http://gnarlodious.com/Computer/MacOsx/WiFi

"Your computer isn't connected to the internet"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.