Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tested 15" MBP (late 2008) today

Boot time was a full minute; must add that the Dock was fully loaded.

Switching graphics chips is a pain.

The trackpad is a nice advance and felt very intuitive. The gloss screen is a deal-breaker for me.

Most Apple Store employees are still clueless about features. Earlier I downloaded the User Manual so had a bit of knowledge beyond the Store employees. Bit my tongue when they were wrong.

CONCLUSION: my MBP (early 2008) will serve my needs just fine. No need to upgrade at this time.

Thanks for reading

Mini 1.5 GHz, G3 PB 266/14", Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Oct 16, 2008 5:22 PM

15 replies

Dec 2, 2008 11:11 PM in response to Robert Tanis

I wouldn't upgrade from an early 2008 MBP to the new one. However, I agree with one of the earlier posts that this late 2008 "unibody" MBP (I have the 2.4 ghz model) is the best MBP--well, for now anyway. I spent quite a bit of time earlier this year when Apple stores had MBs and MBPs with either glossy or matte screens available, and I preferred the glossy screen. Maybe the rich, saturated color will someday start to bother me, but for now I love it. Glare/reflections are easy to minimize or eliminate with a laptop, and the screen is so bright and gorgeous to look at. For me the pluses outweigh the minuses, but I know there are people (even MacWorld magazine was somewhat critical of the glossy screen) who do say "glossy is bad." To each his own. But other big pluses for this MBP are the unibody case, great keyboard, and the inclusion of two graphics chips. Apparently, with Snow Leopard, this MBP will be even faster because the next OS will be able to use graphics chips like the Nvidia 9600 as a kind of additional CPU core.

Tested 15" MBP (late 2008) today

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.