Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the ExpressCard/34 slot do?

Please give me the for dummies version. I have looked on Wikipedia and other sites. It tells you what it is and the different cards you can get for it but WHAT DOES IT DO?

I want to understand what I have on my computer. Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

MacBook Pro 17-inch, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2008 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2008 4:51 AM

+> "80 GB" iPod wrote:+
+> What does it expand? Is it just for more memory?+

No, it allows you to "expand" the features and ports of the machine. For example if you needed another FireWire port you could buy an ExpressCard FireWire Card., if you needed wireless internet you could get a subscription with Sprint, Verizon, ATT, etc and they would give you an ExpressCard wireless card to link up with the service. If you needed an e-SATA port you could buy and e-SATA ExpressCard. The options are many.

If you do ever need to buy an ExpressCard thought make sure it's OS X compatible. There are a lot out there that are Windows only.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2008 4:51 AM in response to "80 GB" iPod

+> "80 GB" iPod wrote:+
+> What does it expand? Is it just for more memory?+

No, it allows you to "expand" the features and ports of the machine. For example if you needed another FireWire port you could buy an ExpressCard FireWire Card., if you needed wireless internet you could get a subscription with Sprint, Verizon, ATT, etc and they would give you an ExpressCard wireless card to link up with the service. If you needed an e-SATA port you could buy and e-SATA ExpressCard. The options are many.

If you do ever need to buy an ExpressCard thought make sure it's OS X compatible. There are a lot out there that are Windows only.

What does the ExpressCard/34 slot do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.