Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The ants are inside my computer and they are up to no good. Ant infestation

I am currently in the jungles of Mexico and when I approached my computer today there were ALOT of little red bitey ants climbing in and out of the keyboard and around the computer. Side note: there has been no food nor drink near this computer and I think they are simply attracted to the heat/ electrical emissions. I've seen them attacking televisions before. I freaked out and squished some of them and then sprayed some ant repellent at the computer but then thought better of that because I thought it might damage something. I went to a store and bought a can of compressed air and went to work. Compressed air is really cold and instead of shooting them out of their new home I think it just made them momentarily freeze up or hibernate or something. When I took the battery out there were dozens more there and they went and hid in the crevices. They are still in there somewhere but now they know I'm after them. Occasionally one of them comes out and meets my wrath but I'm worried that they are up to no good in there and eating wires and laying eggs and plotting against me. Stupid ants. Any suggestions that don't cause more damage than the ants are possibly causing?
I'm hoping these ants aren't related to this story: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/usandamericas/article3941545.ece

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2008 9:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2008 10:09 PM

Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

The MacBook can survive being stored (when turned off) up to -24º C. I would suggest you turn your MacBook off and find a refrigerator freezer with enough room to put your MacBook in overnight. You might try to put it in a large zip-lock type bag first, just to make sure it doesn't pick-up any frost. If left overnight, that should be plenty of time to make sure the ants aren't "hibernating" without any chemicals.

-Doug
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2008 10:09 PM in response to charliemagoo

Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

The MacBook can survive being stored (when turned off) up to -24º C. I would suggest you turn your MacBook off and find a refrigerator freezer with enough room to put your MacBook in overnight. You might try to put it in a large zip-lock type bag first, just to make sure it doesn't pick-up any frost. If left overnight, that should be plenty of time to make sure the ants aren't "hibernating" without any chemicals.

-Doug

The ants are inside my computer and they are up to no good. Ant infestation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.