Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No 1080p external video monitor support in FCP?

Hello,

I am editing XDCAM EX 1080p footage (from Sony EX1) in FCP. I have the sequence set to these specs, and I can edit and export in 1080p with not problem - BUT I can only view the video while in FCP through the external monitor in 1080i. We have a Kona3 card with HD-SDI and SD component out. The HD-SDI goes into an AJA HDMI converter into a Sony XBR 1080p monitor.

No matter what we try, we cannot send 1080p to the monitor - only 1080i. According to the AJA tech, FCP can only monitor out to 1080i. The Kona3 can display 1080p footage, but FCPfor some reason will not send 1080p footage to the card - only 1080i...

The AJA tech says the only way to get 1080p is to use the Cinema Display option and view the video via DVI. This will not work for us, as we need to monitor in both HD and SD simultaneously, and viewing via DVI would not make our colors black level accurate. We use the SD monitor for color-grading as well.

Does anyone know if it is true that FCP cannot display 1080p as a monitor output?

Thanks,
Carl

Mac Pro (early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2008 10:23 AM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2008 11:08 AM in response to Carl Crum

Well, I edit 720p23.98, and while FCP and the Kona DOES output a 720p signal, it is all stroby and flickers and is pretty much unwatchable. And I remember going to Post Group here in LA for some minor tweaking to a project and I was in the room where they color CSI...which is mastered at 1080p. I asked how they monitor, 1080p or 1080i, because of my odd flicker issue. The colorist said that they always monitor 1080i, because the flicker...and he showed it to me...was too hard on the eyes. So they send the signal out 1080i. But that might be because their monitor is a huge HD CRT. But still, I have an HD CRT and at times use an HD LCD, but I always monitor my footage as 720p59.94. But that is progressive.

Is there a problem monitoring 1080i? I mean, the footage is progressive so it will play out progressive. The monitor will only show the two fields as a single frame, as that is what it is.

Shane

User uploaded file

No 1080p external video monitor support in FCP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.