Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from one Mac to another

Is there an easy way to transfer all your photos from one Mac to another over a local network(in home) and keep the two computers in sync as you add new photos?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Mac Mini, Ipod Classic, Simpletech external hard drive, 2 Airport Expresses

Posted on Oct 18, 2008 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2008 12:33 PM

Yes and ‘sort of’.

Is there an easy way to transfer all your photos from one Mac to another over a local network(in home)

Yes. Just copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder of Mac A to the same location on the Mac B.

keep the two computers in sync as you add new photos?

‘sort of’. Depends on what you mean by ‘sync’.

If the Syncing is *one way* - that is, you only add new pics to Mac A (and never to Mac B) then you can keep Mac B updated easily with a back up app like DejaVu.

However, if the Syncing is *two way*, and pics get added to both Libraries, then there is no way to do this automatically. The best you can do is use iPhoto Library Manager to move pics/albums/events between Libraries.

Regards

TD
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2008 12:33 PM in response to JazzmanJD

Yes and ‘sort of’.

Is there an easy way to transfer all your photos from one Mac to another over a local network(in home)

Yes. Just copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder of Mac A to the same location on the Mac B.

keep the two computers in sync as you add new photos?

‘sort of’. Depends on what you mean by ‘sync’.

If the Syncing is *one way* - that is, you only add new pics to Mac A (and never to Mac B) then you can keep Mac B updated easily with a back up app like DejaVu.

However, if the Syncing is *two way*, and pics get added to both Libraries, then there is no way to do this automatically. The best you can do is use iPhoto Library Manager to move pics/albums/events between Libraries.

Regards

TD

Nov 10, 2008 8:32 AM in response to Yer_Man

I transferred a photo library from one powerbook to another, about 3 years ago, and since then have found that albums created in the earlier version will appear in the finder, and then arbitrarily later albums as well, but not all albums. I asked a Mac Genius about getting a better organized library and he told me to create a new library (on my second hard drive) then go the existing library, select rolls and move to the new library. but if you're in one library how do you move rolls to another? Apple tells you not to drag photos from one library to another. So I imported everything into the new library and now there is no album info and the rolls are all jumbled and misnamed. Argh. Is there a simple way to transfer all these photos, just keeping them in roll format and ditching all the old album data?

Transferring photos from one Mac to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.