Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After a Restore the the iPod music list in iTunes is grayed out.

I had to restore my IPod mini and looked like it worked ok, and synced with library ok but when I try to select my music it is grayed out and I can't select/play anything. I disconnected the IPod, restarted my computer and restored again and the same result. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

IPod Mini, Windows XP

Posted on Oct 18, 2008 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 6:55 AM

Grey text when you look at the content and a lock symbol at the bottom of the screen just indicates that the iPod is set to sync automatically with iTunes. If you want to play the iPod songs through iTunes, delete songs from the iPod, drag songs from iTunes, add playlists to the iPod etc. you need to change the update setting to "manually manage songs and videos". The text will change from grey to black and everything will be directly accessible through iTunes:
Managing content manually on iPod and iPhone
Syncing Music to iPod
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2010 6:55 AM in response to momsmusic

Grey text when you look at the content and a lock symbol at the bottom of the screen just indicates that the iPod is set to sync automatically with iTunes. If you want to play the iPod songs through iTunes, delete songs from the iPod, drag songs from iTunes, add playlists to the iPod etc. you need to change the update setting to "manually manage songs and videos". The text will change from grey to black and everything will be directly accessible through iTunes:
Managing content manually on iPod and iPhone
Syncing Music to iPod

After a Restore the the iPod music list in iTunes is grayed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.