Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command & Conquer 3 - Network Problems.

Hi all,

I used to play Command and Conquer 3 online with my friends around the UK however since setting up my Time Capsule (500gb) I can't get a successful connection to them.

I play through C&C3's in game mulitplayer options, choosing "Online". I can login fine, see other players and games fine, chat no problems. The issue comes when I'm all set to go into a game. There is a little icon that rates your connection of which it starts with a yellow icon (meaning good connection) then swaps to a red cross (problems).

Swapping back to my Buffalo router/wifi access point, the game works just fine; with the time capsule I can't actually get into a game. I've tried both using the Mac version of C&C3 and via boot camp with the windows version, both can't seem get through.

Anyone else having this problem and successfully fixed?

Other information: I can browse the web, emails (pop & imap), vpn, play other games online like Dawn of War, Star Wars Galaxies. I went to a friends house and the game worked fine so it must be the Time Capsule.

Any help would be great,

Cheers

Chris.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 15" MBP, 4GB RAM, 250GB Disc, Dual booted OSX/Vista Ultimate

Posted on Oct 19, 2008 1:33 AM

8 replies

May 29, 2009 8:19 AM in response to Milner99

Hi,

I was having the similar problem. Every time we tried to start a LAN game, playing Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 on a Mac; We could see our names twice in the Local Network Lobby. then when starting a game, one of the names would disappear; then the other would get connection timed out. We seemed to be able to fix it by removing the DNS server we added to the network settings.

Simply open System Preferences -> Network ->

then remove anything in "search Domains:"

and under advanced options -> DNS

then remove anything you have in DNS Servers.

If you dont want to lose those setting just remember to replace them when you are done playing.

Jul 26, 2009 9:48 PM in response to EvANighT

I know the problem.
To get the game to work you have to have EA's port forwarded. Now this ***** cause its a 20000 port range. This is outta the question cause I can't assign 20000 ports to ONE of my machines since I have other things forwarded in that range to different computers. The ports are:

UDP ports:

8088 - 28088
TCP ports:

I tried only doing the TCP ones but it didn't help, the solution I came up with was to put my iMac in the router's DMZ.
To set up a computer as a default host:

1. Open AirPort Admin Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
2. Select your base station from the list and click Configure.
3. Click Show All Settings.
4. Click Base Station Options, then select the "Enable Default Host at" checkbox.

That worked but this is highly insecure and basically avoids the router altogether.

EA makes the worst networking possible, 20000 ports? I have a counter-strike dedicated server running and it only requires a few.

Command & Conquer 3 - Network Problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.