Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto - Printing 5x7

New Apple user and this is driving me nuts. I want to make a 5x7 print but there is no default iPhoto selection in the print size or paper size drop down menus for 5x7. Moreover, when I choose customize and put in 5x7 it crops my picture in a way that I don't like. Any help before I switch back to a PC would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 19, 2008 9:27 AM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2008 9:55 AM in response to Woody18

Woody

Welcome to the Apple user discussion forums

two issues

Cropping - if you are using a point and shoot digital camera you probably have pictures in a 4:3 ratio - obviously printing 5X7 means that something has to give - either you crop your photo to 5x7 or the program will - most likely you would like your crop better so the solution is simple - crop your photos to the print size the way you like them before printing or you can crop and arrange tehm using the customize screen during the printing process - click here for a more complete discussion of cropping.

Printing - select the photo(s) you want to print and click the print button - on the resulting screen select the printer, the paper size (use custom for any size that is not listed) and the print size, then click customize if you want to make custom changes - in the resulting window you can select custom options and you can right click (control click) on the image to get options to fit to frame, etc. You also can zoom the photo and move it around in the frame (if it does not fit exactly) to control the cropping - clicking print now will take you to the final window where you can select paper source and other printer specific options (if the printer and print drive you are using support the options) - if you do not have a large window with the options menu click on the little triangle to the right of the printer name to expand the window

LN

Nov 19, 2008 11:27 AM in response to egchicago

Yes. iPhoto 6 does not have a Print button. You need to crop the photo first to 5.7. Then type Command+P to start the print process. In the Print window select Paper = 5x7 borderless, Style = full page. That will give you a borderless 5x7 print.

User uploaded file

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 6 and 7 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. Just put the application in the Dock and click on it whenever you want to backup the dB file. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

Note: There's now an Automator backup application for iPhoto 5 that will work with Tiger or Leopard.

iPhoto - Printing 5x7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.