Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Poor sound quality from Mac->AirPort Express->DAC->Stereo

Hi all,

I use iTunes 8.0.1, the latest AirPort Express (802.11n), and a stand alone DAC to listen to music. I rip all of my tracks as AIFF. I connect the AirPort Express to the DAC via Toslink (Monster Cable). The problem I'm having is the sound quality with the AirPort. It sounds hollow and some what distorted. The sound output is also too loud, which may be contributing to the distortion. I have 3 AirPort Express units and they all have the same problem.

However, when I bypass the AirPort and connect my MacBook directly to the DAC via Toslink, it sounds wonderful as it should be. This eliminates the possibility that the DAC is at fault.

Is there a setting that I can tweak in iTunes or AirPort Utility? I don't have Sound Enhancer enabled in iTunes.

Power Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz, 4.5GB RAM, ATI X800 XT, 23" Cinema HD Display, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Nikon D200, Coolpix 5000, Coolpix S1, LUMIX LX2

Posted on Oct 19, 2008 11:30 AM

There are no replies.

Poor sound quality from Mac->AirPort Express->DAC->Stereo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.