Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Power Button

I saw this display in an Apple store last night. I asked the staff if the new display has a power button. After some research the staff concluded there is no power button. It turns on when you plug it into the macbook and turns off when you unplug it.

I'm getting fed up with Apple cutting out buttons. At least give me a software button on my computer so that I can turn off the monitor on demand if I want, and separately from the macbook. Grrr.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.4 GHz

Posted on Oct 19, 2008 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2008 1:31 AM

You can press "Ctrl + Shift + Eject" to switch the display off.
4 replies

Oct 19, 2008 4:25 PM in response to whosyourtator

I agree. You would think that since they are promoting this with the new MBP that you would have an external power button. A button like the one on the old plastic enclosed displays that power on and off through the display. After all, having to open and close the MBP to power down or unplug seems to be an unbelievable and unacceptable oversight. Absolutely archaic!

Heads should roll. How did that product get through. Like I read earlier, $200 more and you got an IMAC.

Oct 20, 2008 2:43 AM in response to JMac767

After all, having to open and close the MBP to power down or unplug seems to be an unbelievable and unacceptable oversight. Absolutely archaic!

You don't have to shut down to plug or unplug the display. The old ADC should not be plugged when on, but newer displays are designed for hot plugging.
Heads should roll. How did that product get through.

It doesn't need a power button. It uses very little power when there is no display signal.
Like I read earlier, $200 more and you got an iMac.

It's a lot more than $200.00 extra for a 24" iMac (the 20" iMac has an inferior, not just smaller, display).

Oct 21, 2008 10:25 AM in response to whosyourtator

A simple tap button would be nice, so i could just leave it all plugged in and oen i can just tape the button and be done with it, if iw anted to leave the system on and just turn the monitor off etc etc.

im wondering if theyll be creating new cables so the 24" could support other computers as well (imac, macpro etc)

because unless im mistaken the magsafe,usb,displayport cable is removable.

No Power Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.