Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart mailboxes have random contents

I have a bunch of smart mailboxes for tracking down things I need to deal with. When I first click on one of these after launching Mail, it has pretty much random contents. Usually it has some of the messages I expect, but also a lot of other random messages. Then, if I click on a different smart mailbox and click back, it has a different set of random messages. If I keep doing this, then after a while it seems to settle down to the messages I was expecting.

Thinking this might be a fault in Spotlight indexing, I've rebuilt my Spotlight indexes (with "sudo mdutil -E /" if you wish to know) but that has not improved anything.

Any similar expierences or suggestions?

MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 20, 2008 3:20 AM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2008 2:25 PM in response to RPTB1

RPTB1 wrote:
I have a bunch of smart mailboxes for tracking down things I need to deal with. When I first click on one of these after launching Mail, it has pretty much random contents.

Same thing here. Each mailbox also shows new messages (the little indicator is on with a number in it) after I have deleted some others, but when I open that mailbox the new messages aren't there. The indicator goes back to normal. Is all this due to an indexing problem?

Seems to also be true on Mail on either of my CPUs and at all times. Worse when mail has been moved or deleted.

Smart mailboxes have random contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.