Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant get touch to connect to wifi

help i can not get my 32gb v2.1 touch to connect to my home wifi i have a d-link router and the wii, psp , ps3 and laptop all find and work ok .but the touch will find the signal and after putting in the password i use the the rest of the gear the touch pops up with "unable to join the network" i have used the correct ssid name and the router is using a wpa password as i say the rest of my gear works ok with that so why not the touch??

Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 20, 2008 7:34 AM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2008 7:47 AM in response to ukmonkeyboy

A couple of things you might try if you have not already done so:

Restart the iPod touch.
Restart the router
Check the password (upper and lower case, symbols, etc.)
(With the password, there have been some instances when putting a symbol like #, * or $ before the password has helped.)

Check DNS numbers. If they are entered, change the number by one character, exit, then change it back.

Oct 20, 2008 9:30 AM in response to ukmonkeyboy

If you look in settings, and press the wifi tab, the router you are connected to will show with its name. There should be a check mark to the left and a blue arrow to the right. Make sure the check is there first. Then press the blue arrow and you will come to the settings panel for that router/connection. After IP numbers (these should be in the range 10.x.x.x. or 192.x.x.x. or something like that, but not 169.x.x.x), subnet, and router (same first number [192. or 10.] to the IP number for the iPod).

Below all that is the DNS section. I read on the boards that some people suggest OpenDNS numbers like 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, but the router number may also suffice.

When all of this data is entered, if you do not get online, restart, and we will take it from there.

Oct 20, 2008 9:47 AM in response to Graham K. Rogers

right dont have a check mark all i see is the name the padlock and the signal bar and a blue arrow if i press the blue arrow i get the setting panel and its all empty the dhcp is in blueand http proxy is off and blue am i to enter in the ip address box? as i cant do that? not sure if thats right the only ones i can enter into is dns, search domains and client id.
so am i doing something wrong from the start ?

ps thank you for your time and help so far hope we can get this fixed

cant get touch to connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.