Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing between 2 macs...help please

I hope that there is someone who can help with this problem.

I have a MBP and a Macbook both running 10.5.5

I am trying to network them at home. I have a D-Link 524UP Wireless Router.

When I go into System preferences (on either computer) and turn on file sharing I can see that computer appear in the other's Finder sidebar. BUT, I can't get any drives or folders to actually appear in Finder next to the networked computer.

Finder sees the computer that I'm trying to connect to (in the sidebar) and for a few minutes tells me it's "connecting..." but then comes up with a "Connection Failed" message.

Screen sharing on either computer works fine.

Help please!...this is driving me nuts

Oh...and a screen shot of one of the finder windows is here:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/tonesterau/Picture2.png

You'll notice that the connection failed on the shared computer.

Message was edited by: Tony Mallis

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.9), 2 Gb RAM

Posted on Oct 21, 2008 2:59 AM

15 replies

Oct 21, 2008 6:26 AM in response to Tony Mallis

Hi Tony,

Just tried it now between my iMac and Macbook sharing the same network and internet connection. In my "system preferences > sharing > file sharing" I clicked the "options" button (bottom right) and have "Share Files and Folders Using AFP" and "Share Files and Folders Using SMP" both checked. You can configure the "USERS" in this window as to how much access you would like them to have (i.e. Admistrator: Read and Write etc.)

Mine comes up as "Connection Failed" but then I click the "Connect As" button and insert the Administrator Name and Password (of the computer to which I am trying to connect) and it works.

Oct 21, 2008 3:40 PM in response to Zlig

Zlig
Thanks for the response

I have done just as you have described. I made sure I switched on both share by AFP and SMP.

I see the guest computer in finder sidebar. But nothing else. It attempts to make a connection but after a few minutes it comes up with "COnnection Failed".

And, just as you described, I click on "Connect as" but nothing appears. THere is no login dialogue box or anything to prompt me for a username and pwd.

This is getting too frustrating.

Could it be a 10.5.5 issue or a router issue?

Message was edited by: Tony Mallis

Oct 22, 2008 2:33 AM in response to Zlig

Well, I tried again when I got home tonight and guess what?? It works! I first tried with the firewall disabled and then with it back on and it worked. (I suppose that disabling the firewall shouldn't make any diference as the firewall automatically allows AFP connections anyway.

So I have no idea what I wads doing wrong last night but tonight all is OK.

Thanks for your help!

Next question.....

I can see the drives of each connected computer BUT I cannot see the bootcamp partition or the FAT32 partition of an external hard drive (the MAC OS partition comes up OK). I am assuming that AFP cannot connect to networked drives? Am
I correct and if so is there any way to connect to FAT32 drives?

Oct 22, 2008 2:54 AM in response to Tony Mallis

Hi again. As I understand it the only way you can see a Bootcamp partition is for the Mac to be started up in Windows. I'm not much of a Windows person so I stand to be corrected. Perhaps someone with more experience in this area can help or, better still, post this as a new query in the "Windows Compatible" section of the Discussions.

Oct 22, 2008 8:20 AM in response to Zlig

Hi Zlig, I was reading through this post as I have the exact same issue. I tried everything as recommended but I can't get past 'connect as' I don't get anything. My firewall is not on or rather it is set to allow all incoming connections.

I appreciate any help with this as it is taking too much time to figure out and therefore very frustrating. lol

Oct 23, 2008 6:15 AM in response to Zlig

Hi Zlig, Unfortunately my other computer is having problems. It is a iBook G4 running leopard. We restarted it and it wouldn't come back from that. I will shelf this problem until we fix the laptop. We have tried several steps to fix the iBook. I believe he went on to a discussion board and did what was recommended. Ie, insert the installation disk but nothing worked.

Thanks anyway,
Karen

Nov 9, 2008 6:24 PM in response to Zlig

Same here, same problem and I made a post about it here as well ( http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1783700&stqc=true). I'm surprised to see this problem persists even with Mac to Mac. I think something is seriously messed up with the Finder Shared Sidebar. All 3 of my network PCs show there (whether they are on or off) but none connect (when on)... always connection failed, then connect as, then failed once more. Connect to server with respective PC's smb or cifs address (command-k) works fine however.

Problem persists with firewall on or off. I presume sharing settings on the mac are irrelevant since I'm not concerned with file/folder access to the macbook on the network, but from the mac to the pc.

Sharing between 2 macs...help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.