Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Will not boot into OSX, Techtools Or Install dvd

904 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2008 1:55 AM by AndrewCapon RSS
AndrewCapon Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 21, 2008 3:09 PM
Hi Guys,

My MacPro will basically not boot into any apple type environment, it boots Vista perfectly.

This started with a disk error on the boot raid volume.

When I boot it panics.

When I boot the Leopard DVD it panics.

When I boot the Techtools DVD it panics.

Not good!

I have looked at all boots in verbose mode and it basically looks like they are all trying to access the system disk even though it is toast, after a while it stack dumps.

I don't mind formatting the disks as I have a backup but how do I get to the point that I can format the disks?

I can boot into Vista perfectly, it can see all 4 hard disks and ntfs/fat partitions on three of the disks.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Andy
MacPro and MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • Eustace Mendis Level 7 Level 7 (24,545 points)
    Oct 21, 2008 4:51 PM (in response to AndrewCapon)
    it can see all 4 hard disks and ntfs/fat partitions on three of the disks.

Two alternatives:

1. I suggest you disconnect all your drives and see if you can boot from your Leopard DVD. If you can, the 'no boot' issues is obviously being caused by one of the drives. If this is the case, I would try to identify which drive, by connecting just one of them and trying to boot from the OS DVD. Then do the same thing with another drive, and so on. If you are lucky, you should be able, by trial and error, to isolate the drive (or drives) that are the problem.

2. It does seem that you already have a clue that the system disk is the culprit. You could just disconnect that one and try booting from your OS DVD.
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (58,535 points)
    Oct 21, 2008 5:06 PM (in response to AndrewCapon)
    Did you upgrade the graphics to 8800 or Radeon 3870? That would explain why. Only boot from hard drives, or purchase TechTool Pro 5? and Apple now has 10.5.4 DVDs, but that is full price.

Create some emergency boot drives.
    Mac Pro, Windows Vista, Ultimate x64 9800GTX ACD 23" Caviar 640s Sonnet Tempo E4P APC RS1500

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.