Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPod shuffle while playing

This baffles me completely because I completely took it for granted that this will work, but apparently it doesn't.

I run a haunted attraction, and I had the brainy scheme of using iPod shuffles to play continuous music throughout the night, from about 7:00pm to 2:00am.

Naturally, I wanted to connect the iPod to AC power while it was running so that I would not have to worry about batteries during the event. So I hooked it up to a powered USB hub and it stopped playing immediately.

According to the FAQ, apparently this is intentional behaviour and there is no way for the iPod shuffle to play while charging, as its big brother iPods do.

Although the battery life should last through the attraction, I'm only getting a few hours of battery life from my fleet of Shuffles. So at this point I'm in trouble with the management for choosing a non-viable solution.

What should I do? Is there any way to work around this? And why on earth would Apple design the Shuffle this way? It seems like common sense to allow a device to charge and operate at the same time.

Many thanks for any help.

D

Posted on Sep 24, 2005 5:16 AM

5 replies

Nov 4, 2005 11:46 PM in response to David Dennis

Yes indeed! - I bought the usb/wall-socket adaptor and it has allowed me to play continuously while charging. I am also using it to play "on-hold" music through a phone system. The funny thing is, the FAQ/trobleshooting info on this site stresses that it WILL NOT work. I even checked with the apple online chat-help and they confirmed it. How dumb is that? Did they ever try it? Obviously not.

Nov 5, 2005 12:27 AM in response to Peter Davis3

When I asked Apple technical support about this, they told me the real problem is apparently that I had a "song" that was 7 hours long. This meant the music could not all be loaded into the cache memory that saves battery life.

So that's why your application worked and mine didn't. I eventually hit on the solution of making a MP3 CD that was the required 7 hours long. This worked like a charm and of course was much cheaper than the iPod.

To Apple's credit, their music composition tools worked great. Pity about the iPod shuffle.

D

Charging iPod shuffle while playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.