Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone Rings Internet shuts off

Ok well when on the wireless internet at my house, when the phone rings my internet shuts down until they are off the phone or if someone doesn't answer the phone. The only problem is that i am the only one that gets kicked off the internet when the phone rings. we have a simple little wireless router thats hooked up to my mothers desktop and my fathers desktop that is wireless too. My brothers computer is a laptop and is also hooked up to the wireless. They are all PC's and i am the only mac so why is it only me that gets kicked off when the phone rings ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Oct 22, 2008 12:07 PM

10 replies

Nov 20, 2008 8:26 PM in response to Timothy Flanagan

Hi Timothy: I'm going to guess, you are using ADSL for your internet service? Have you noticed the same loss of signal if you pick up the phone to make an outgoing call? If so I would be suspicious of a missing or incorrectly installed DSL fiter. Depending on the type of install, you may have plug-in filters at all jack locations with a working phone plugged in. If one is missing and the phone is plugged directly into the jack it wil definitely cause loss of DSL signal. Please note if the filter is installed at the outside telephone junction box, no inside plug-in filters are required.

Good Luck
Stedman

Nov 21, 2008 4:51 PM in response to stedman1

no i am not using DLS i have verizon for my phone service and yes when i do pick up the phone and try calling out it does disconnect the wireless internet. I tryed looking on the wireless phone set for a different channel and there isn't one so i cant change that at all. But so far all i do for now is when the phones ring i let my computer sit and watch it go offline then wait for who ever is on the phone to get off and let the computer reconnect to the wireless

Nov 21, 2008 5:30 PM in response to Timothy Flanagan

Hi again Timothy, Maybe I didn't explain correctly. It sounds as though your phone service is by way of Verizon. Can I assume your internet service is also through Verizon. If so then it wil most likely be ADSL or Fiber type service. Or perhaps I am way off base and you have high speed internet provided by a Cable TV type service?

Good Luck
Stedman

Nov 23, 2008 3:14 PM in response to stedman1

yeah i have no idea all i know really is that we have verizon for a phones and its all computerized phone system. only thing is that we have a new wireless phone system that isn't connected to the phones. but it still works for the phones. people were telling me a while back is that it was the wireless phones that was throwing my wireless internet off, i am not sure what i should do for the router and other stuff

Phone Rings Internet shuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.