Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW files with iPhoto

I shot some pics in RAW for the first time today and have some questions. I imported them into iPhoto and then sent them to Elements using the Edit in External Editor option. They landed nicely in the AdobeRAW conversion pane which I understood alright. I don't know what to do from here when I am satisfied with them or what to expect. I thought I had to change them to jpeg after conversion but when I click Open, it opens as a DNG file in the editor window. Also, if I Save As jpeg it disappears into the folder, leaving the DNG file in the iPhoto window. Can you tell me what I should be doing and what to expect? I somehow thought the DNG file would go off into the Originals folder and leave the jpeg in the iPhoto window. I use iPhoto as my organizational tool. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 22, 2008 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2008 8:49 PM

This is a limitation of the way iPhoto handles RAW images. If you keep the same file name and file extension, then Save, the edited version will go to iPhoto's Modified folder and be linked to the Original file. However, in correcting a RAW file, you must always Save As with a different file extension. So iPhoto can't link the edit to the original. Don't Save As directly into your iPhoto Library; instead, Save As to your Desktop, then import into iPhoto. It will import as a new Original and won't be linked to the RAW file.

If that workflow seems clumsy, an alternative is to not import your RAW files into iPhoto. Edit them in Elements first, then import the edits into iPhoto. Keep your RAW files in a separate location as your set of digital negatives.

Regards.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2008 8:49 PM in response to bmwphoto

This is a limitation of the way iPhoto handles RAW images. If you keep the same file name and file extension, then Save, the edited version will go to iPhoto's Modified folder and be linked to the Original file. However, in correcting a RAW file, you must always Save As with a different file extension. So iPhoto can't link the edit to the original. Don't Save As directly into your iPhoto Library; instead, Save As to your Desktop, then import into iPhoto. It will import as a new Original and won't be linked to the RAW file.

If that workflow seems clumsy, an alternative is to not import your RAW files into iPhoto. Edit them in Elements first, then import the edits into iPhoto. Keep your RAW files in a separate location as your set of digital negatives.

Regards.

Oct 23, 2008 9:21 AM in response to Smtr

Thanks. This method works well but is somewhat cumbersome. The idea of having a separate file for RAW is appealing but I don't know how to NOT import photos into iPhoto. I was thinking perhaps I could flag them or give them stars or something in the iPhoto window and then be able to bring them up like that, instead of having to scroll through all the jpegs to find them. Do you think RAW is worth having all these huge files to store? Is there less compression when you convert to jpeg in your computer rather than in the camera or is the advantage in having control over the initial settings? You need a jpeg file to be able to do anything with your pictures anyway. One more question along my road to understanding. When I am finished in the RAW converter and Open in Elements I am able to do all the cropping etc. before I Save As. It still has the dng extension at this point so am I still working on the RAW file?

Oct 23, 2008 9:23 PM in response to bmwphoto

There are several ways to upload your photos without importing into iPhoto directly. You can use Image Capture to selectively upload your photos to a folder on your Desktop. If your camera mounts on the Desktop as an external drive then you can simply drag and drop in the Finder to get the files on your Mac. If your camera doesn't mount, then you can place the camera card into a USB card reader, which will mount on the Desktop, then drag and drop.

Once imported into iPhoto, the RAW files are automatically given the keyword "RAW." (Likewise, videos are given a Movie keyword.) All you have to do to locate those files is click the RAW keyword, and they will pop right up. You could also create a Smart Album where "keyword is RAW" to catch them for you. If you like working in Events view then you could separate your RAW photos from your jpegs by creating Events for them.

You'll have to decide if you want the RAW files in your iPhoto Library. A disadvantage is that your library will contain 2 separate sets of files for photos where you have RAW versions and have imported your edited jpegs. An advantage is you can quickly compare your edited jpegs to the RAW files, and as your editing skills become more proficient you can always edit your RAW files again.

I don't have a camera that shoots in RAW, so I haven't had to make these decisions for myself. I'll tell you my thoughts based on what I have read and what I have learned from a PSE tutorial. I believe that the advantage is that the RAW file has not been processed by the camera, which allows you to process it on your computer to best suit every photo. For example, my camera may have under-exposed a backlit subject because I forgot to turn on the flash and set the exposure to spot-metered. I can fix it in Photoshop, but because the camera incorrectly processed that jpeg, my options are limited, and my subject will most likely be grainy. Take that same shot in RAW, and those exposure decisions aren't made by the camera. Now I could open it in the RAW workspace of Elements, and I could apply the correct settings to turn that photo into the perfect shot. Of course, that depends on my ability to use the RAW editor to make the best adjustments for that photo. RAW used to be primarily for professional and serious photographers, but as cameras have come down in price more casual photographers choose to shoot in RAW. Aperture handles RAW files better than iPhoto, because it is aimed more at the professional photographer, whereas iPhoto is a consumer-level application.

One more question along my road to understanding. When I am finished in the RAW converter and Open in Elements I am able to do all the cropping etc. before I Save As. It still has the dng extension at this point so am I still working on the RAW file?

I don't know for sure. I did play with the RAW workspace in Elements as I worked a tutorial that I bought. I am guessing that what you have after leaving the RAW space and opening in Elements is an Adobe Raw file. That is what I kept seeing. If I saved the file as Adobe Raw then iPhoto 6 was unable to import it.

Sometimes Photoshop expert [Barbara Brundage|http://discussions.apple.com/profile.jspa?userID=38538] chimes in to answer this type of question here. OR you can ask on the [Adobe Photoshop Elements forums|http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eeb4f8b>.

Regards.

RAW files with iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.