Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with glyph variants

(Questions at end)

I have been using Adobe Garamond Expert since the old Mac OS 9 days mainly for old-style numerals. This worked quite well as a character style with FrameMaker until Adobe stopped supporting it. So in Tiger, I used this font successfully in Word 2004.

However, with Leopard and Word 2008, which I have on my new Intel iMac, this font stopped working, with the message in the Character Palette: “The current application does not support glyph variants”.

I have searched the Apple web site and the Web for a precise definition of glyph variant, but have not found one. So I took a peek under the covers with the demo version of FontLab TypeTool 3. There I found that glyph 49, for instance, has a name of ‘oneoldstyle’, with no Unicode. So, as an experiment, I created a new font from Adobe Garamond Expert with the name ‘one’ and Unicode 0030.

This personal font worked fine. Character Palette recognized characters 0-9 as standard glyphs and I could use the font in Word 2008 just like I had done with Word 2004. However, unless I pay $99 for TypeTool, I cannot really use this font because TypeTool corrupts some of the glyphs. Eventually, I plan to convert my Word documents to FrameMaker running under Windows under Parallels desktop, where I can use OpenType fonts. At the moment, I am using Word mainly as a drafting tool and InDesign is not powerful enough for the long, complex book I am writing.

I could let the matter rest there, but I have recently come across another problem with glyph variants and would like to understand the general principles underlying this concept. Doing some research into the languages used by early civilizations, I looked at Wikipedia’s page for Devanagari, the alphabet of Sanskrit and many modern Indian languages.

Safari displayed the characters in the alphabet quite OK, apparently using font Devanagari MT, distributed with Leopard. However, when I tried pasting some of these characters into Word, Word did not recognize the font. Checking on the Microsoft forum, I saw that people were having many problems with the way that Word handles fonts. So at first I thought that this was just a Microsoft problem. Safari, Firefox, TextEdit, InDesign, and Illustrator all recognize Devanagari MT OK. But the old FreeHand MX also did not. So this could not just be a Microsoft problem; it seems to be more systemic.

To get around this problem, I discovered that Arial Unicode MS, also distributed with Leopard, contains the Unicode devanagari glyphs: U0900-U097F. However, they did not appear as alternates in the collections pane of the Code Tables window. I can see these glyphs in the Glyph window for Arial Unicode MS, but Character Palette tells me again, “The current application (Word) does not support glyph variants”.

I can insert these characters into InDesign, with the warning “This is a glyph variant; it may not be displayed correctly in other applications or on the Internet”. Investigating Arial Unicode MS in TypeTool, I find that U0907 (index 1383) has the correct Unicode with a name ‘uni0905’. The corresponding glyph in Devanagari MT has the same Unicode, but with a name ‘adeva’. However, the standard Unicode name for this glyph is ‘DEVANAGARI LETTER A’.

It would seem from this that neither the Unicode nor the glyph’s name is what determines whether a glyph is a variant or not. Maybe both are needed. For changing the code and name in Adobe Garamond Expert worked fine.

A few questions arise from these experiments:

(1) What exactly are the defining attributes for a glyph variant?
(2) Putting this question the other way round, what are the defining attributes for a glyph that would enable it to display correctly in all applications and on the Internet.
(3) If the name is significant here, what name should be used?
(4) What is it about Devanagari MT that prevents it from appearing in the font list for Word 2008 and FreeHand MX? (I haven't investigated, but I suspect that there are some other fonts in this category. Illustrator CS3 presents this font in angle brackets () in its fonts list, like one or two other fonts. So perhaps it also finds this font a little suspect.)
(5) Is there an Apple paper, or more general one, that describes the general principles behind the modern way of handling fonts? I sometimes find with issues like this that information is either too basic or too advanced, intended mainly for developers. So is there a middle path for people like me, IT savvy, but not experts in any one field? The TypeTool user guide, for instance, doesn’t mention glyph variants. Yet they clearly affect the way that fonts are presented to and used by users.
(6) From my perspective, moving to Leopard and Word 2008 reduced the facilities available to me with respect to handling fonts and glyphs. I am very reluctant to spend $99 to overcome these deficiencies. So is there any hope that Apple, at least, might make life a little easier for us in this respect?

12-15 years ago, when working in the IT industry, I had some understanding of fonts on Mac, Windows, and IBM mainframes. But now I am retired, engaged in other activities, I have less time to pay to technological issues. Nevertheless, it would be good to deepen my understanding because I would like to rid myself of this thorn in the flesh. And with a better conceptual understanding, I could more effectively deal with any further font issues that might come up.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Paul
Sweden

Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2008 6:11 AM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2008 7:00 AM in response to Paul Hague

To answer your questions about Devanagari, the basic problem is that neither MS nor Adobe products for Mac support this script yet. It requires a font with Apple's AAT font technology, namely Devanagari MT. Windows fonts using OpenType technology will not work on a Mac (except perhaps in OpenOffice/X11), and the Apple font will not work in MS or Adobe apps. Arial Unicode (a Windows font) contains Devanagari, but access to that part of the font is blocked in OS X so that apps will not try to use it instead of the required Devanagari MT.

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/TypingDevanagari.html

For issues that relate to the capabilities of Word 2008, the best place to ask is probably on the MS forums:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/topics

I'll try to respond on some of the other questions later.

Oct 23, 2008 8:10 AM in response to Paul Hague

what are the defining attributes for a glyph that would enable it to display correctly in all applications and on the Internet.

The viewer needs to have the font containing the glyph installed on his machine, plus both the OS and the App need to support the particular technology used by the font to display that particular glyph. If the glyph is at a standard, non-private-use Unicode codepoint in the font, then all modern OS's and apps should display it. But if the glyph is a "variant", placed in the font but only made accessible under conditions defined via the font's OpenType or AAT layout tables, then the OS and App need to support the use of those tables. OS X Apple apps use AAT and have some support for OpenType, which can also differ between apps like TextEdit and Pages.

I don't know exactly what font technologies are supported by MS Word 2008 for Latin script, but it supports neither AAT nor OpenType for Arabic, Devanagari, etc.

I am very reluctant to spend $99

If you do need to create your own fonts at some point, have a look at FontForge, which is free. Its tutorials also provide lots of info on font technology.

http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

Oct 23, 2008 11:16 AM in response to Paul Hague

I have been using Adobe Garamond Expert ...However, with Leopard and Word 2008, which I have on my new Intel iMac, this font stopped working

Is that a Postscript Type 1 font rather than .ttf or .otf? If so, you might want to search for issues with Word 2008 related to Postscript fonts:

http://www.mackb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/word/9979/Postscript-Fonts-in-Word-2008

Oct 23, 2008 12:42 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Many thanks, Tom, for your information. It has given me some clues to explore further. You said:

Arial Unicode (a Windows font) contains Devanagari, but access to that part of the font is blocked in OS X so that apps will not try to use it instead of the required Devanagari MT.

This seems to indicate that the term +glyph variant+ is as much political as technical. This might not matter if Devanagari MT worked in Word 2008. To get round this problem, I've downloaded a free font, which works fine in Word.

Regarding the other point about Adobe Garamond Expert, yes, this is a Type 1 font I bought about 10 years ago. As you suggest, I'll explore this issue further on the MS forums. I did install FontForge, as you suggest, and created a new font with clean oldstyle glyphs. However, once again, Word did not recognize this font in either otf or ttf format, even though other applications did.

I've been using Word for Mac since V3 in 1987, so don't hold out much hope that this problem will be solved easily. I've had some really ghastly experiences over the years. Under these circumstances, I usually look for a suitable workaround.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance.

Paul

Oct 23, 2008 12:59 PM in response to Paul Hague

This seems to indicate that the term +glyph variant+ is as much political as technical.

Access to Arial Unicode MS Devanagari is blocked because if it were not, apps might use it and display garbage instead the correct Devanagari they produce when using Apple's font.

This might not matter if Devanagari MT worked in Word 2008. To get round this problem, I've downloaded a free font, which works fine in Word.

What font is that? No Unicode font will display correct Devanagari in Word for Mac, although that might not be obvious if you do not know how to read this script.

http://m10lmac.blogspot.com/2007/04/pitfalls-of-working-with-complex.html

Regarding the other point about Adobe Garamond Expert, yes, this is a Type 1 font I bought about 10 years ago. As you suggest, I'll explore this issue further on the MS forums. I did install FontForge, as you suggest, and created a new font with clean oldstyle glyphs. However, once again, Word did not recognize this font in either otf or ttf format, even though other applications did.

Check to make sure you have both the font suitcase and the outline printer fonts installed for AGE.

I'm puzzled that Word would not recognize the .ttf/.otf fonts you made.

Problems with glyph variants

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.