Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help: Headers and Footers the same for every page!

I've tried time and time again to just make a header for the first page of a document, but pages makes it the header on every single other page in the document (which is extremely annoying). Also I have no clue how to put page numbers at the bottom of my document. I've went to the page inspector and clicked in the section portion of it to turn off the use previous headers and footers section, but it wont let be click it! Im so frustrated can someone please help. Thank you.

Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2008 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2008 9:07 AM

Welcome to Apple Discussions Erica

I've tried time and time again to just make a header for the first page of a document, but pages makes it the header on every single other page in the document (which is extremely annoying).

Headers & footers are designed to allow content to repeat on each page without having to re-enter it. I prefer to use a text box/object for something that is only to appear on the first page. Another option is to create a new section for the following pages using a section break at the end of page one. Unlike other word processors I've used, Pages doesn't automatically suppress the headers & footers on the first page of a section. If you entered data in the header or footer on the first page, that will be displayed & suppressed on the remainder. To suppress it on the first page, the information must be entered on the second or later page.

Also I have no clue how to put page numbers at the bottom of my document. I've went to the page inspector and clicked in the section portion of it to turn off the use previous headers and footers section, but it wont let be click it!

If you have only one section it makes sense that you can't check use previous headers & footers because there is no previous section.

Click in the footer of your document & choose Insert > Page Number. The page numbers will increase for each page. I find it much easier to work with documents with the layout showing.

User uploaded file
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2008 9:07 AM in response to Erica H.

Welcome to Apple Discussions Erica

I've tried time and time again to just make a header for the first page of a document, but pages makes it the header on every single other page in the document (which is extremely annoying).

Headers & footers are designed to allow content to repeat on each page without having to re-enter it. I prefer to use a text box/object for something that is only to appear on the first page. Another option is to create a new section for the following pages using a section break at the end of page one. Unlike other word processors I've used, Pages doesn't automatically suppress the headers & footers on the first page of a section. If you entered data in the header or footer on the first page, that will be displayed & suppressed on the remainder. To suppress it on the first page, the information must be entered on the second or later page.

Also I have no clue how to put page numbers at the bottom of my document. I've went to the page inspector and clicked in the section portion of it to turn off the use previous headers and footers section, but it wont let be click it!

If you have only one section it makes sense that you can't check use previous headers & footers because there is no previous section.

Click in the footer of your document & choose Insert > Page Number. The page numbers will increase for each page. I find it much easier to work with documents with the layout showing.

User uploaded file

Help: Headers and Footers the same for every page!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.