Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Database corrupted

Hello, I have a problem yesterday with two mails which I deleted but for some reason those mails appear in gray in the Inbox, at the same time appear a new buttom in the tools bar "Retrieve". Finally I get rid off those mails, but the Mail 3.5 start to work bad.

When I need to downloads mail from the mail server, the Activity Visor shows the number of mail to donwload and the speed, it shows there are several mails, but after getting two mails the speed drops to 0 KB/s. When I use a webmail program to look out the account, there are still all the mails, so I have to forced quit the Mail program, erase manually from the webmail the mails already downloads and then download another two mails.

I have read the manual and it seems I have the Mail Database corrupted, the solution said to follow the steps:

To reconstruct a corrupted mail database:
1 In Server Admin, select a computer in the Servers list, then select Mail.
2 Click Maintenance.
3 Select the Accounts tab.
4 Select the affected user’s account.
5 Click Reconstruct.

Do I have to reconstruct the mail database? Where can I find the Server Admin?

Thanks for your help.

FX Arias

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Mail 3.5

Posted on Oct 23, 2008 8:41 AM

3 replies

Oct 23, 2008 11:06 AM in response to FX Arias

you are reading a manual which doesn't apply to you.

if rebuilding the mailbox didn't work, try rebuilding the entire mail index. quit mail and delete the file homedirectory/library/mail/envelope index. start mail and let it import (that means reindex) your messages. see if that helps. if not try rebuilding mail preference file. quit mail and move the file homdirectory/library/preferences/com.apple.mail.plist to the desktop. start Mail. you'll hav eto recreate all your accounts. once you do they should recognize the existing mailboxes.

Mail Database corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.