Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time zone stuck on GMT

Hi:

Within System Preferences > Date & Time > Time Zone, the time zone is stuck on GMT--which results in the Apple Time Server producing the incorrect time for my time zone (Pacific time).

So where is the file that this system preference writes to? I assume deleting that file will allow me to reset this preference properly. (Creating a new user didn't solve the problem, nor did deleting /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences,plist.)

Otherwise, it looks like we're headed for an erase and install.

TIA
mm

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2008 9:40 PM

40 replies

Oct 23, 2008 9:56 PM in response to Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews wrote:
Hi:

Within System Preferences > Date & Time > Time Zone, the time zone is stuck on GMT--which results in the Apple Time Server producing the incorrect time for my time zone (Pacific time).

So where is the file that this system preference writes to? I assume deleting that file will allow me to reset this preference properly. (Creating a new user didn't solve the problem, nor did deleting /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences,plist.)

Otherwise, it looks like we're headed for an erase and install.

TIA
mm

Before you do an erase and install, drag the entire preferences folder onto your desktop and reboot.
If that fixes it then you simply drag the files back one at a time until the problems recurs and you know which file was bad.
if this does not work, do the same thing with the system preferences folder.
If you are intending an erase and install, it really does not matter, and you may just fine the bad file and avoid a reinstall.

Also see if running in the safe mode has the same problem

Message was edited by: nerowolfe

Oct 24, 2008 9:20 AM in response to Mike Matthews

I had this problem, and after unsuccessful attempts by Apple's support to diagnose it, I figured it out myself. The problem was with the /etc/localtime file. It was a directory, instead of a symlink. I think Tiger (which is just what I migrated from) used to have it as a directory, whereas Leopard changed it to a symlink. Long story short, if you erase / rename your /etc/localtime, and then set the timezone, it will start working.

You will need to enable the root user for this, so be sure you know what you're doing. But once you're root, just do a

cd /etc
mv localtime localtime.old

Then set the time zone again, and this time it will remember it.

Nov 6, 2008 11:23 PM in response to Spencer Filichia

I think I've figured out what you are talking about using the terminal, but I can't find the directory or file you are referring to. Within the "etc" directory I get a list of the following files, non of which are "localtime"

6to4.conf notify.conf
6to4.conf.applesaved ntp.conf
X11 ntp.conf.applesaved
afpovertcp.cfg openldap
aliases pam.d
aliases.db passwd
appletalk.cfg pear.conf
appletalk.nvram.en0 periodic
appletalk.nvram.en1 php.ini.default
authorization postfix
authorization.cac ppp
bashrc printcap
crontab profile
crontab.applesaved protocols
csh.cshrc racoon
csh.login rc
csh.logout rc.common
cups rc.netboot
daily rc.shutdown
defaults resolv.conf
dumpdates rmtab
efax.rc rpc
find.codes rtadvd.conf
fonts rtadvd.conf.applesaved
fstab services
fstab.hd shells
ftpusers slpsa.conf
gettytab slpsa.conf.applesaved
group smb.conf
hostconfig smb.conf.applesaved
hostconfig.system_default smb.conf.template
hostconfig~ snmpd.conf
hosts ssh_config
hosts.equiv ssh_config.applesaved
hosts.lpd ssh host_dsakey
httpd ssh host_dsakey.pub
inetd.conf ssh hostkey
inetd.conf.applesaved ssh hostkey.pub
kcpassword ssh host_rsakey
kern_loader.conf ssh host_rsakey.pub
kern_loader.conf.applesaved sshd_config
mach_init.d sshd_config.applesaved
mach init_peruser.d sudoers
mail syslog.conf
mail.rc syslog.conf.applesaved
master.passwd ttys
memberd.conf ttys.applesaved
moduli weekly
monthly xgrid
motd xinetd.conf
named.conf xinetd.conf.applesaved
named.conf.applesaved xinetd.d
nanorc xinetd.d-migrated2launchd
networks xtab

Was wondering if anyone could identify one of these files as possible ones to rename or erase?

Nov 13, 2008 10:49 AM in response to nerowolfe

Actually you do not need to enable the root user. Use the Finder's "Go to Folder..." command to open the /etc folder and drag the localtime folder to the trash. You will need to authenticate as an admin to do this. Then just open System Preferences and set Date and Time settings.

It appears that this only happens in a migration to Leopard, but I can not be sure.

Larry

Nov 19, 2008 8:57 AM in response to barnamink

Thanks,

Although I did not follow your directions exactly (as some of the people below are trying to figure out) . . . I just used the "got to folder" option under the "go" menu in the finder and went to "/etc/" -- I then just deleted the "localtime" folder (which apparently should not be a folder, but a symlink whatever THAT is). Then I could reset the time zone in system preferences. It works now.

hope that helps someone.

-yoojin's apa

Time zone stuck on GMT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.