Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages Crashes after booting up

Why does Pages crash (iWork '06)?

My system is clean and regularly maintained using Cocktail and TechToolPro4, returns a clean bill of health on all tests. Initially Pages crashed when trying to save a document. Now Pages wont allow me to open any document without crashing.. The problem persists across the other two user accounts on the same computer one of which is a clean administrator a/c only used for testing etc..

I'm desperate to understand and resolve the problem and include summarised crash report below. Please can anyone help me? many thanks..

EXC BADACCESS (0x0001)
KERN INVALIDADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xfdc04009

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 get cieencoding + 24
1 classify object_overfdes + 96
2 init_object + 124
3 search_object + 40
4 examine_objects + 300
5 Unwind_FindFDE + 148
6 uw frame_statefor + 68
7 uw init_context1 + 64
8 UnwindRaiseException + 52
9 _cxathrow + 136

e-Mac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1 GB DDR Ram

Posted on Oct 24, 2008 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2008 9:59 PM

If you can reproduce the anomaly across multiple user accounts, it's a strong indication that the application needs to be reinstalled.
6 replies

Oct 25, 2008 4:33 AM in response to Brie Fly

Hi Brie Fly!

Sorry but reloading the complete iWork application which of course includes Pages, has made no improvement! Unbelievable! To repeat: Once Pages is opened and I select "Open an existing file" the application crashes and disappears revealing the above mentioned crash report. Similarly, I cannot use any of the virgin templates on the opening screen.

So thanks for your sensible suggestion but I need to keep looking for a solution. Any thing you or any other kind soul might think of, would be much appreciated. I'm really up against my deadlines now with precious documents I can longer access and no solution in sight!!

Oct 25, 2008 5:11 AM in response to Sooty

Hi again!

In my desperation to find a fix, I've trashed the Pages cache and prefs files - Together with re-installing the Pages App' it means that now I can open existing documents but the minute I try to save (or auto save cuts in) the app crashes.

So the symptoms have changed a bit and of course I can now copy most of the text from each document and paste into 'Word' although this is a long winded way of working!

All other computer functions in other apps seem unaffected..

More help needed please!

Oct 25, 2008 11:45 AM in response to Sooty

Well, my other guess would have been a corrupt font, but your most recent observations would rule that out.

now I can open existing documents but the minute I try to save (or auto save cuts in) the app crashes.

That makes me wonder if there might not be a permissions issue with the folder that your documents are being saved to (although. this wouldn't explain why other user accounts have a similar problem).

Pages Crashes after booting up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.