Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommendations for USB WiFi Adapter

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a specific brand/model USB WiFi adapter that would be compatible with OS X Leopard (10.5.5). Ideally, I'd like it to have the following features:

- USB 2.0
- 802.11b/g
- External antenna/port

I've used a Hawking HWUG1A, which worked great for about a year, then died (actually, now it causes a kernel panic after using it for a while... Hawking Tech Support said it was probably a hardware failure in the card, but I'm out of warranty).

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/input.

2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2GB RAM, 30" Apple Cinema HD Display

Posted on Oct 24, 2008 11:49 PM

15 replies

Oct 26, 2008 11:59 AM in response to dd-blues

dd-blues,

Looks interesting. I like the idea that it comes with a little base. Helpful for placing the adapter where it can best receive the signal.

I think I want to try and find one that has an external antenna (or an antenna port) so that I have the option of increasing its sensitivity and power by adding a more powerful antenna. I use WiFi on the road a lot, and often I could use the extra OOMPH of a stronger antenna to pull in weak signal.

This is a good start, though! I'd love to know if you have any sites with reviews. You mentioned that this has been recommended... by someone you know? Or someone online?

Thanks for the help.

Oct 26, 2008 12:53 PM in response to John and Peter

Someone who suffers with Apple's airport cards wrote on one discussion group that he bought it and that it worked well. I am sorry I do not remember the site or the group name. I think it was an official Apple discussion group. But if you google a bit I am sure you'll find something.
I considered but did not like the idea of buying an option for which I need to look for drivers around (like what was suggested with d-links). This one sounded as the fastest way to get a strong, reliable and leopard compatible solution without extra effort and time (which I do not have). I guess I will not know if it really works until I try it myself. I expect mine to arrive in a several days.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Nov 8, 2008 8:38 AM in response to John and Peter

Hello.
So, I have received G54SL USB wireless card. Installation was simple but I still needed to install it twice before it worked. Installation indicated that it was for Tiger even though I choose 10.5 package. Setting parameters was easy enough.
So far I tested it on my MiniMac which is placed in a distant corner of my apartment where reception with AirPort card was not very good.

My impressions: the reception with G54SL was better than with the Mini's airport card. I plugged it directly to the Mini, without extension cable. This suggests that I could have even stronger signal if I move USB around when connected to the computer via extension cable. The signal was stable with time.

When computer waked up from sleep it reconnected fast. However, when I restarted computer I needed to choose my network again. It took some time before the connection was established. I did not read manual yet and I do not know if I can make card remember my network and reconnect automatically.

I would say that if you need to extended range and have stable connection this card is more reliable than the built-in Airport card (at least in my case). I still need to try it with my portable computers and test behavior with networks other than mine. I'll try this during the next week.

Nov 30, 2008 2:17 PM in response to John and Peter

I wonder about it being a "hardware failure" -- I just bought one and I now get a kernel panic at least a couple times a day. I think it's a software incompatibility. Which stinks because I really need an external wi-fi connecter to get a signal in most of the RV parks I travel to.

I was hoping Hawking would do an upgrade of their driver, but if they don't think there's a problem there I guess that won't be happening.

Jay Jennings

Recommendations for USB WiFi Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.