Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes gets CD Info, but CD then disappears...

Hello people...

I've recently had an issue emerge with iTunes. I'm up-to-date, using 8.0.1. I have an Intel Mac, and i have a USB Freecom External Drive. As it's quite a fast drive, i use it to burn and import CD's alot. However, just recently, upon inserting a CD,i've noticed a mounting issue.

When iTunes accesses Gracenote for the CD info, as soon as the CD info is retrieved, the CD disappears from the iTunes list on the left. It's not even on the desktop. I flick the power supply off and back on again for the drive. The CD spins and loads in iTunes, with all the track info and sits waiting for me to do whatever i need to do to it, as it should. I thought this may be because i'm using an external drive, so i tried it on the internal drive. Exactly the same. Except now, when i burn a CD-it finishes and disappears instead of mounting as a burnt CD.

Rather peculiar behavior. It's annoying as anytime i want to import a CD, i then have to eject it to get it to mount and import again.

All my permissions are ok-i'm not quite sure what to do to rectify it. Any ideas??!

Dan 🙂

iMac 20" 2.4Ghz, 3Gb Ram, 250Gb HD, 320Gb MyBook, Black Nano 8Gb, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Previous: G4 iBook 10.4.11, 80g WD HD, 640Mb Ram, 80Gb External WD HD

Posted on Oct 26, 2008 4:30 AM

6 replies

Oct 27, 2008 8:52 AM in response to Dan the 480 Man

I guess I'll add my "me too" to this problem. I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on Saturday. Yesterday when I decided to load some CDs into iTunes, the first CD showed up just fine. After the first import though, the next two CDs both disappeared shortly after the track list showed up. They don't show in the finder either.

Dec 12, 2008 1:49 PM in response to Dan the 480 Man

I am still having this problem, and I'm always using the very latest version of iTunes. I have an Intel iMac at work and an iMac G5 at home, and they both do the same thing 50% of the time: They grab the CD music titles from Gracenote, then the CD immediately disappears from iTunes and the Desktop. I used to be able to open Disk Utility and get the CD to mount, but now Disk Utility doesn't even know that there is a CD in there. I tried going through the steps to burn a CD, thinking this would wake up the drive, but it just tells me "drive is busy".

Dec 12, 2008 5:46 PM in response to Dan the 480 Man

Has anyone tried going into iTunes Preferences, going into the General tab. There is a section called "+When you insert a CD+". Try changing the option there to something else like "Import CD and eject'. See if that makes a difference.

If it does make a difference, change the option back to what it was and see what happens then (if you feel like it of course).

Just a thought.

Jan 23, 2009 11:25 AM in response to Dan the 480 Man

I just found a fix for this on another forum, posted by a guy named Justin. It involves opening Disc Utility, so it's a little clunky, but it worked for me (and is easier than restarting, which is what I used to do):

When the CD disappears, open Disk Utility (In your Applications/Utilities) folder. You should see the CD listed on the left, and it appears greyed out.

Click the CD and then press the button at the top that says "Mount," and your CD should reappear in iTunes ready to go.

Hoping for a permanent fix, but this keeps you from having to reboot all the time, I hope.

The forum lives here:

http://getsatisfaction.com/apple/topics/itunesmakes_me_put_a_cd_in_twice_before_it_will_import_ripit

iTunes gets CD Info, but CD then disappears...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.