Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain renaming

Is it possible to rename keychains?

I don't remember the password for my "System" keychain. I don't want to delete it, since beyond the passwords, which are no longer accessible, the keychain has a information that I'd like to preserve like login names.

Is it possible to:

1. rename the "System" keychain to a different name
2. rename a new keychain as "System"

I've been collecting passwords under a new keychain using the "Forgot password" function available on many sites. I know the password for the new keychain.

imac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 26, 2008 6:05 PM

6 replies

Oct 26, 2008 6:11 PM in response to stirling-dad

The password of the system keychain is your login password unless you explicitly changed the keychain password or you changed your account password by resetting it to something else, and for some reason the system keychain's password was not changed. If this is the case then open Keychain Access in the Utilities folder and repair the keychain. This should re-associate your account password with the system keychain. Otherwise the system keychain is automatically unlocked whenever you log into your account.

Do not rename the system keychain nor create another keychain named "System" unless you want things really mixed up on your computer. The system keychain should not be tampered with except perhaps to repair it.

A personal keychain you have created is not your system keychain.

Oct 26, 2008 11:24 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I recently changed my account's password. I remembered only an administrative password and not mine. I changed my password to what seemed to match my hint.

I don't think, however, that this is relevant to the problem I'm having since I couldn't access my keychain before I changed my account password.

I must have changed my keychain password. But, I don't know from what, sigh. I made a new keychain just to store passwords I created with various sites' "Forgot password" function. And I do know the password to the new keychain.

A few questions:

1. How do you run keychain repair? I'd like to run it on my login keychain.
2. What does keychain repair do? Hopefully, it changes the keychain password to match the account password, since I know the account password. If, on the other hand, it changes the account password to match the keychain password, my problem, alas, is not solved.

Oct 26, 2008 11:45 PM in response to Kappy

More on the above.

Can I change the names of the .keychain files in the Library/Keychains directory off my home directory? If so, I think that would accomplish what I was trying to do:
1. have a keychain that would satisfy mail's access of my mail server
2. have a login keychain that I knew the password to

I would still have to populate the keychain, but just about every site has a "Forgot password" function.

Oct 27, 2008 7:46 AM in response to stirling-dad

I found the "Keychain First Aid" function. It was right off the main menu for "Keychain Access".
Verify failed. The output from Repair is below.

I think the only item it was complaining about was that I had set the default keychain to "new-system" rather than login. The only thing that Repair did was to reset the default keychain to login.

Is this correct?

Again, can I do the keychain renaming as outlined above?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Repair started
Checking keychain configuration for David Kallman (user ID=501)
Home directory is /Users/dkk
Checked login keychain
Checked default keychain
Default keychain is set to ~/Library/Keychains/new-system.keychain (instead of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain)
Default keychain set to ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Warning: to use the passwords stored in “new-system.keychain”, you will be required to manually unlock that keychain. If this is not what you want, use the Keychain Access application to copy those items into “dkk”, or delete the “new-system.keychain” keychain.
Checked keychain search list
Keychain search list not properly configured
Rebuilt keychain search list
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/new-system.keychain
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/old.login.keychain
Checked contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS/com.adobe.amp.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1/ PrivateEncryptedDatak
Problems successfully repaired
Repair completed

Keychain renaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.