Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro locking up and has serious trackpad issues under Boot Camp

My new MacBook Pro is locking up occasionally under Windows Vista on Boot Camp and it seems to be related to the track pad or mouse pointer movement in general.

Everything will be going along fine and then during trackpad movement (the trackpad software is serious screwed up in Boot Camp, BTW!) it will just freeze solid. No error messages, no keyboard response, nothing - just a solid freeze.

I have the previous MacBook Pro as well (the one with 8600M GT) and it is 100% rock-solid - it never crashed like this. Vista was 100% reliable on that machine. It appears to run just as well on this new Macbook (9600GT, 2.8Ghz processor, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb 7200 rpm hard drive) but then just freezes out of the blue. It doesn't happen very often - perhaps once or twice a day.

The reason I think it is related to mouse & trackpad drivers is because it never just hangs up by itself, it only hangs when I'm moving the mouse pointer.

In addition the trackpad doesn't work properly under Boot Camp (Windows Vista) at all. It "loses" the click when trying to select, or drag-and-drop items and works very poorly. I'm guessing this is a driver issue on the Boot Camp side because the pad works as expected under OS X and even works properly when using Vista Windows under VMWare Fusion. The trackpad on my previous MacBook Pro worked flawlessly with Vista whereas this one is basically unusable for now.

When can we expect a new trackpad driver for Boot Camp that works as expected?

Macbook Pro (fall 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.5), Macbook Pro (fall 2008) Mac OS X (10.5.5) 2.8Ghz core 2 duo, 9600GT, 4Gb Ram

Posted on Oct 27, 2008 9:44 AM

19 replies

Oct 27, 2008 10:09 AM in response to Mark-NC

You can return it within the first 14 days since purchase for either a replacement or your purchase price less restocking fee.

You can complain about the problems, but we can't fix any of them because they are hardware related. Since the Discussions are only a user-to-user system, Apple does not monitor them and will not see anything you post here. If you want to provide feedback, bug report, feature request, then go here: Feedback.

Nov 1, 2008 7:06 PM in response to Type_11

I should add that this problem ONLY happens under Windows through Boot Camp. Windows through Fusion works like a charm and I have been rock-solid under OS X. My usage pattern is: use the machine all day long at work - sleep it for the ride home - turn it back on when I get home - sleep it in the morning for the ride to work then repeat. Same pattern as my previous (and equally rock solid) MacBook Pro. No problems when I avoid Boot Camp which leads me to be even more sure this is a driver problem under Boot Camp - especially considering the buggy nature of the trackpad under Boot Camp. The Trackpad performs exactly as expected when running Windows under VMWare Fusion but obviously not as quickly 🙂

Nov 12, 2008 8:19 AM in response to Mark-NC

Same situation here.
Previous MBP 15" never froze in Vista.
Since purchasing the new 15" mbp, Vista occasionally locks up completely. No control alt delete, only way to fix it is to cut the power. I also have the trackpad problems. In addition sometimes the trackpad stops responding to anything completely. It also goes crazy sometimes, when I am browsing on IE the page will jump up and down erratically because it thinks I am dragging up and down

Nov 12, 2008 8:54 AM in response to Mark-NC

A number of people (me included) have solved this problem by updating to later versions of the nvidia GPU drivers at www.laptopvideo2go.com. I am now running 179.14 and have had no issues since (several days now). I had to copy the INF file and overwrite the one that's included in the download (otherwise the setup failed when I tried to run it)

Hope it helps
Justin

New Macbook Pro locking up and has serious trackpad issues under Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.